Beef tallow + possibly some bone marrow for CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladka

Reaction score
I've skimmed fat from cooled down beef soup (or broth?) twice and froze one portion and refrigerated the other. The fat was refrigerated non-covered and seemed to shrink during the week before it was used. The frozen and thawed portion also shrank and I decanted some liquid. So I believe it was mostly pure fat that remained in both cases.
In the soapmaking recipe builder I entered the quantity under beef tallow although I believe there is also some marrow. I added walnut oil (because it had to be used before expiry date), some coconut oil for hardness and bubbling and a little bit of castor oil.
I tried to cover the slightly soup-y odour with patchouli and mint FOs at 3 % of total oils.
After almost 24 hrs at room temp it is softer than refrigerated fresh milk butter. As I poured it into a milk carton and will have to cut it to unmold the soap I just can not decide whether to do it straightaway or leave it to harden a bit more. It's half past nine in the evening and I just don't know if it hardens too muchj in additional eight hours.

I've skimmed fat from cooled down beef soup (or broth?) twice and froze one portion and refrigerated the other. The fat was refrigerated non-covered and seemed to shrink during the week before it was used. The frozen and thawed portion also shrank and I decanted some liquid. So I believe it was mostly pure fat that remained in both cases.
In the soapmaking recipe builder I entered the quantity under beef tallow although I believe there is also some marrow. I added walnut oil (because it had to be used before expiry date), some coconut oil for hardness and bubbling and a little bit of castor oil.
I tried to cover the slightly soup-y odour with patchouli and mint FOs at 3 % of total oils.
After almost 24 hrs at room temp it is softer than refrigerated fresh milk butter. As I poured it into a milk carton and will have to cut it to unmold the soap I just can not decide whether to do it straightaway or leave it to harden a bit more. It's half past nine in the evening and I just don't know if it hardens too muchj in additional eight hours.

Maybe there is still a little extra water? Give it a bit more time and see if it gets any harder. The first time I made soap from home rendered animal fat it did basically the same thing. Took a week or more to harden.

I did unmold it late yesterday evening and cut it. Still a bit too soft but will harden with time I believe.
I still wonder what is the bone marrow fatty acid profile ...

I did unmold it late yesterday evening and cut it. Still a bit too soft but will harden with time I believe.
I still wonder what is the bone marrow fatty acid profile ...

That's a good question. I know that I have the butcher grind the fat for me so I know there is likely bone marrow and few other things as well. The lard gets fairly hard after rendering, but the tallow get really hard. Hard enough that when I cut it into pieces it breaks off in chunks and it's hard to actually cut all the way through. I don't know if that is typical of lard and tallow or just what happens with what I get from the butcher.

I didn't clean the first batch of fat I used for soap and it smelled when you washed your hands with it ... I couldn't get the smell off my hands. It has since calmed down and isn't too bad. I learned from that batch though that it's best to clean the fat before using. It not only decreased the smell a great deal, but also gets rid of the extra bits etc.

Latest posts

Back