Becoming frustrated by my lack of proper tools...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I've been making due with what I could MacGyver as far as molds, and they've been okay so far, but the more I learn and grow in my soapy experience, the less useful I am finding these makeshift tools. I've been looking online for affordable molds, both silicone and wood, and they're so stinking pricey that I know I'll never be able to afford them - which is so frustrating!

Where have you folks found your tools at affordable prices?

Walmart and just looking for sales is great for stick blenders and silicone baking dishes that make great molds. The only money I have spent on soap specific supplies is my Crafter's Choice loaf mold that I got on Amazon for under $25.00
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083ID7CE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
My adjustable loaf cutter/planer was under $40.00 on Ebay. My slab mold was kinda pricey but I really wanted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did break down and buy a loaf mold. It was worth it. Pick your favorite batch size and go ahead and invest in one. I would not pick one that requires any sort of rigid mold around it. I think this is the one I have. I considered it a valid investment. Especially when I ordered enough other items to get free shipping.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/regular-loaf-silicone-mold.aspx

You can also buy PVC pipe and end caps and use those as a mold for round or oval bars. This does require lining, however.

Ty both... I've seen those molds and bypassed them because I thought they required a basket to support them. I didn't realize they were self supporting. TY :)

Yep, I had to magnify the picture on that to be sure it showed the ribs on the sides. That is an awesome mold. Never needs lining, and works perfectly every time.

If you want a wooden mould and can't make it yourself, you could try contacting a wood working group close to you and see if one of the members could make you one, that would probably be quite cheap and would give them something new to do.

Dh also made me my cutter out of wood, but until then, which was few years, I made do with ham knife as it was thin to cut my loaves. Again, if you gave a pattern or explained to a wood worker want you want for a cutter they could probably make it for you reasonably. I think someone put up a pattern here on the forum.

What excellent ideas, Ty so very much. It never occupied to me to look at those at the craft store. Or to see if the local hs woodshop class or a local woodworking group would be interested in helping. Funny thing is, I could easily make these myself I had all my old tools. But since I don't have them, it can't.

Tyvm folks :)

Ty both... I've seen those molds and bypassed them because I thought they required a basket to support them. I didn't realize they were self supporting. TY :)
If you can spend fourty bucks WSP had a much cheaper price then Amazon.

Don't forget the check thrift stores. I've found quite a lot of supplies there from individual silicone molds to crock pots. If you can't find a woodworking group to help, most places like home depot will cut wood to your specifications. Then all you would have to do is assembly it.

And because I give so much away, this person or that will kick down 10 or 20 or whatever for the supplies needed if they request a batch. My daughter bought my Crock pot for me as a present, so if you have anyone around you who still gifts (it is just one daughter, BF and I, here) you can politely request things, or cash toward a goal, or help toward a soap. I get a lot of requests for patchouli, but that's expensive, so I cover everything but the Patchouli, for example. I would be doing soap anyway, but I lean toward tester FO's until its been tested. Tester FO's are good, I personally have stretched mica sampler packs as if I had put them on torture racks, and I have kept my oil stash fairly simple. Slab molds and embed molds and colors are on my next want list. And. A. Planer. PlanerPlanerPlanerrrrrr......

I've found some of my favorite silicone molds at 2nd hand shops, or on sale on woot.com or Amazon for cavity molds (woot.com said they were ice cube trays pfffft). A box made for smoked salmon is my other good slab mold. I made my favorite tall and skinny (exactly 2 inches wide) wooden mold with ideas from a thread here.

For some reason I keep seeing coconut oil on sale at shops around here and buying it....

My suggestion might appear to be a little expensive but it's totally worth it. I got mine customized for a more comfortable bar size, so it was a little more expensive, but I have no wasted soap now. You get for the price 2 molds and a cutter mold, which could double up as a mold if you could line it perfectly, they have smaller size mold sets also.They are fully collapsible, easy to line, hold up perfectly to CPOP, are easy to clean and also, there's very little ash for some reason. Do I sound like a commercial? It's just a heartfelt recommendation and I'm known for those in my friends circle. I'm yet to use a wooden mold so I don't know if wood is better but I've no complaints with my HDPE.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNG8RXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ETA: this, or similar things could be other options.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7QQMLM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several of these wooden molds from soap-making-resource. http://www.soap-making-resource.com/wooden-soap-molds.html

The first mold I bought was the 2 lb mold with the cutting slot. At $32, it was a reasonable investment in a hobby for me. You do have to line it, but I don't mind lining as much as some people seem to. I also have an 8 lb mold that I mostly use for the cutting slot.

You would be surprised how many molds you can find at GoodWill. It is a great spot to find cheap individual silicone molds, loaf molds, even wine crates can work. The larger wine crates do have dividers so you could use that as a multi-loaf mold. All of these usually end up being less than $5. I've gotten smaller loaf molds that hold around 1-2lb from eBay for between $5-$8 but they all require some sort of support to prevent bowing. I just make a mini cardboard box to hold up the sides and reuse the boxes. I recently bought the American Soap Supplies T&S mold and I just soaped in it last night. There was the slightest bowing when filled to the top. I had worst bowing with the T&S mold from WSP.

I was going to build my own molds and went to Home Depot to have them cut the pieces for me. Both times I went, none of my cuts were even. Sure, I could have built a mold from the pieces but who wants one side half an inch longer than the other? I would go with the wood working group if you can.

K, I just wanted to add a warning on the Mr. Doright molds b/c my experience was so different, they are expensive, and I don't want someone who is watching their budget to buy them and be disappointed.

I bought the kit a couple of years ago when I was just doing MP b/c they were advertised as being "no-liner" molds and I was hopeful that would be true w/MP, which was stupid of me. Anyway, they are definitely not no-liner, with MP or CP. I hardly used them, except to cut CP bars, but they all warped, including the cutter one (bowed out on both sides.)

I just moved and ended up throwing them all away. I think you must have gotten an especially good set or something, after I noticed that the "no-lining" thing was not true I searched the soaping forums and there are lots of complaints about this guy.

B, I didn't actually go in for the no line aspect, and the seller even advised me to use parchment to line the long sides, I don't know why they are being advertised as no-line molds. They could be used without lining for HP soaps and may be salt bars but not CP. I wanted my bars to be a specific size and this guy customizes. I have mostly been using those molds only and as I said, I have no complaints. It's interesting though that you threw them out since I'm guessing, we probably got them around the same time. I bought them in January this year.

ETA: ah, I see you used them for MP, much before your CP journey. I thought I would attach a pic of my molds assembled and ready to go, just so we know we are talking about the same product.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I bought mine a couple of years ago+. I was kind of surprised about the warping b/c I had used them so little (I don't think I even CPOP'd in them), and they were kept in a relatively cool/dark place, not one which would facilitate the warping, I think. I did not disassemble between uses, in retrospect I think that would have been a good idea.

I am *really* glad that you are liking them and that they work for you, though. If it hadn't been for the warping on mine I think it would have been a good price.

ETA: Definitely the same molds. Except for the fact that mine looked like they had eaten a good meal by the time I got rid of them :) If mine had stayed like yours I think I would have liked them very much, they *are* much easier to clean than wood.

Last edited:
I bought my first wooden mold from Candles And Woodcrafts. They have a wide variety of sizes/types and will customize for you. The prices and shipping were very reasonable.

http://candlesandwoodcrafts.com/woodensoapmolds.html

There is also a page on FB run by a lady whose husband makes molds. They are reasonably priced also. I will PM you the link because I'm not sure if linking FB pages is acceptable here as I never see it done.

ETA: Definitely the same molds. Except for the fact that mine looked like they had eaten a good meal by the time I got rid of them :) If mine had stayed like yours I think I would have liked them very much, they *are* much easier to clean than wood.

A small thing I wanted to mention, you really have to be careful while putting them together to not screw those beyond just snug enough. You can't really make them air/water tight, they will leak a little if there's any overheating or separation, not very much though. But if I screw them very tight, I could make them narrow or bulge out in the middle. I do understand you said warping and not bulging, but just thought I would put that out there.

Back