Quantcast

Because I'm all about the trace...

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SheLion

Reaction score
Yesterday, while stirring and SBing a batch of soap for what seemed like a stupid amount of time, I got to thinking about what factors affect trace. I see lots of warnings about things tracing too fast but since at the moment I'm only making un-colored batches, a 1 minute trace sounds pretty good to me.

I decided to compile a list of the different factors and their effects (excepting additives like FOs because I know they are not consistent) since I am going to experiment with colors and designs soon, so having an idea of working time with the batter will be good info. With that in mind, I did a forum search. Somewhere in my search results, I happened upon a post that linked to the following write-up about trace. It is clearly written and packed with such good information that I felt it needed more attention brought to it, particularly for newbie soapers that are still learning all this stuff.

http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/controlling-trace-in-cold-process-soapmaking/

I like that it explains how the different types of fatty acids affect trace. That way, if I'm working with an uncommon oil, I can still figure out its effect on trace time by looking at the acid profile of the oil. It also busted a couple of 'myths' that I learned in the soapmaking class I took years ago (and have also seen floating about online in tutorials).

Anyway, I hope others find it useful as well.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
SheLion, scroll to the bottom of this page and see other posts from SMF that might help you.

SheLion

Reaction score
Thanks, Relle, but I'm good. I posted it so others might benefit as trace seems to be a bit mystifying and confusing for a lot of new soapers. Plus, I found it so helpful that I had to share. :)

Because I'm all about the trace...

No trouble.
I was hoping someone would get the reference. :mrgreen: