Beautiful pure white...from?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought RBO twice from the SAME source. One batch did have some cloudiness and settling. The other is more golden, and is clear and not settling!

I haven't made soap with exclusively the 2nd batch of RBO yet--I'll have to use it and see if the final soap colors are different.

The Riceland website says:

"Riceland Rice Bran Oil contains natural plant waxes that remain in the oil after minimal processing. This gives the oil a slightly cloudy appearance. The waxes are not harmful when consumed and do not alter the oil in any way."

I've seen RBO described as winterized and non winterized and I'm wondering if that refinement process is what removes the cloudy fraction. ?

Here’s a sample of my oil after gentle shaking. I can see wisps of solids in the oil. As you can see, the oil in this small jar (200 ml) is quite cloudy.

E6DF7FAA-C921-4ACD-B95C-6E746D155524.jpeg

The first time I bought Riceland RBO, I immediately split the large container into a gallon container (first) and then a bunch of smaller containers to store in the refrigerator. I used the gallon container and the largest of the small containers first and everything seemed fine. The oil was pourable. When I eventually got to the very smallest containers (last filled), the oil coming out of the refrigerator was thick enough to use a spoon. The soap I made with that oil was very brittle when I first cut it. It cured just fine, but I wonder if the soap was enriched with wax per the info @runnerchicki provided.

Back