beard wash/conditioner recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renraw9002

Reaction score
I've been using beard oil and butter for a good while now, but I've never used a beard specific soap, shampoo, or conditioner. Does anyone have a good recipe for a beard shampoo and/or conditioner? I do have some cold process soap making experience, but I do not have any experience in any other method of soap making. Attached is my current soap recipe in case it helps any.
updated soap recipe.png

Attachments

• attachments.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 2
Does it have to be lye based? I make two types of beard shampoo - solid and liquid.
I make both beard oil and conditioner. But but but....for hair especially, I'm big on pH so I don't use alkaline lye based soap. I use surfactants with HEO (Humectants/Emollient/Occlusive) ingredients. If interested i can either post links with more information or post a basic formula.?

Yeah, lye based soaps aren't very good on hair. Prolonged use can cause damage and breakage. I had to shave my head after two years of using cp shampoo bars due to breakage.

You can make detergent based beard cleanser but its probably cheaper just to buy a premade one.

Does it have to be lye based? I make two types of beard shampoo - solid and liquid.
I make both beard oil and conditioner. But but but....for hair especially, I'm big on pH so I don't use alkaline lye based soap. I use surfactants with HEO (Humectants/Emollient/Occlusive) ingredients. If interested i can either post links with more information or post a basic formula.?

Sure, I'll take a look. I'm leaning towards just sticking with store bought beard washes though since I have only a basic idea of what HEOs even are. I appreciate it.

Yeah, lye based soaps aren't very good on hair. Prolonged use can cause damage and breakage. I had to shave my head after two years of using cp shampoo bars due to breakage.

You can make detergent based beard cleanser but its probably cheaper just to buy a premade one.

Ok I kinda thought as much. I was hoping I could use a lot of the stuff I already have on hand for cold process soap, but if I can't then I'm sure I can find a quality beard wash for a semi decent price somewhere. Thanks

Sure, I'll take a look. I'm leaning towards just sticking with store bought beard washes though since I have only a basic idea of what HEOs even are. I appreciate it.

Ok I kinda thought as much. I was hoping I could use a lot of the stuff I already have on hand for cold process soap, but if I can't then I'm sure I can find a quality beard wash for a semi decent price somewhere. Thanks

If you aren't a formulator I would probably stick to store brought. Unless you want to make other cosmetics.

But you really could do something with a few base ingredients that really shouldn't be too expensive. Some cocomidopropyl betaine, decyl glucoside, some BTMS and some hair heaven (mixed extracts), or some Genadvance Hydra, xanthum gum and a preservative. Once you start, you can't seem to stop. Just like Pringles. 🥰😂

As a soaper though you would have oils right?
So you could compromise. at the very least make beard oil. If you don't want to invest in emulsifiers and other raw ingredients.

Buy beard wash or you can make a lye based bar. ♥️♥️

If you want some help. I have a few basic formulas that can help you start but I would advise to start reading some of the blogs by the fabulous cosmetic formulators & chemists that are interested in sharing their knowledge.

If you aren't a formulator I would probably stick to store brought. Unless you want to make other cosmetics.

Yea I'm definitely not a formulator and I don't think I'm interested in spreading out from cp soap.

But you really could do something with a few base ingredients that really shouldn't be too expensive. Some cocomidopropyl betaine, decyl glucoside, some BTMS and some hair heaven (mixed extracts), or some Genadvance Hydra, xanthum gum and a preservative. Once you start, you can't seem to stop. Just like Pringles. 🥰😂

Ya know I always thought I had at least a somewhat decent vocabulary, but I feel like Kel from "The Good Burger" saying "mhm I know some of these words" while reading this paragraph lol.

So you could compromise. at the very least make beard oil. If you don't want to invest in emulsifiers and other raw ingredients.

Yes I have a nice beard oil I made.

Buy beard wash or you can make a lye based bar. ♥♥

If you want some help. I have a few basic formulas that can help you start but I would advise to start reading some of the blogs by the fabulous cosmetic formulators & chemists that are interested in sharing their knowledge.

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass atm. I don't think it would be cost effective for me to get these base ingredients and everything for a beard wash that's only for me.

Yea I'm definitely not a formulator and I don't think I'm interested in spreading out from cp soap.
🥰

Ya know I always thought I had at least a somewhat decent vocabulary, but I feel like Kel from "The Good Burger" saying "mhm I know some of these words" while reading this paragraph lol.
That's a 90's reference I've not heard in a while 🤣😭🤣
But, I was the same once upon a time. My point was more that you can get basics. 🥰🥰

Yes I have a nice beard oil I made.
Keep making it ♥️🥰

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass atm. I don't think it would be cost effective for me to get these base ingredients and everything for a beard wash that's only for me.
Understand completely. ♥️ Just so you know those few ingredients make lotions etc too. Not pushing 🤣🤣 just sayin. 🤣🥰

Buy beard wash or you can make a lye based bar. ♥♥

I'm a formulator looking to learning and expanding my horizon
How about you share some of that good good formulas ..🙂
Sending out Love and light 🌟🌟

I'm a formulator looking to learning and expanding my horizon
How about you share some of that good good formulas ..🙂
Sending out Love and light 🌟🌟
Haha, it's costing me $9900 for my knowledge 😍🤣😂 that's my VET debt (student loan) for my diploma in personal care formulation. But, I think it's just a starting base for me. I've said I'd relaunch officially after study but, I've applied for 2023/2024 and will apply for 2024/2025 (next year) internships and think because I am struggling with understanding it all, but loving it so much, that I'd like to do organic (cosmetic) chemistry at Monash Uni. It's the only place in Australia. But, because in the US and Canada apparently with a diploma you can call yourself a cosmetic chemist (doesn't fly here and doubt it would in Europe no matter what Formula Botanica think) I would like to intern in one of the bigger indie brands - the Ordinary, in Toronto for example.

But, if you let me know what you want help with, I'll do my best to help and will share formulas although we don't learn by just following formulas 🤣😂 that's like a chef learning by only following other's recipes ♥🤣

Am happy to share though. It gives me a chance to ramble 😂🤣

Haha, it's costing me $9900 for my knowledge 😍🤣😂 that's my VET debt (student loan) for my diploma in personal care formulation. But, I think it's just a starting base for me. I've said I'd relaunch officially after study but, I've applied for 2023/2024 and will apply for 2024/2025 (next year) internships and think because I am struggling with understanding it all, but loving it so much, that I'd like to do organic (cosmetic) chemistry at Monash Uni. It's the only place in Australia. But, because in the US and Canada apparently with a diploma you can call yourself a cosmetic chemist (doesn't fly here and doubt it would in Europe no matter what Formula Botanica think) I would like to intern in one of the bigger indie brands - the Ordinary, in Toronto for example.

But, if you let me know what you want help with, I'll do my best to help and will share formulas although we don't learn by just following formulas 🤣😂 that's like a chef learning by only following other's recipes ♥🤣

Am happy to share though. It gives me a chance to ramble 😂🤣
The last part of the message melted my heart and yes I do agree with you that we dont learn by just following other's formula/recipe.
I completely appreciate your sincerity.

Latest posts

Back