Beaded Dress a Past Hobby of Mine

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While packing today I found one of my youngest daughters Pagent/Prom dress I made her while she was in high school. I used to sew too!! I was the hardest most miserable dress I had ever sewn due to a bad pattern. I remember it being a Butterick pattern and I ended up throwing the directions away and just sewing it together. I was so used to Vogue patterns I never purchased another Butterick pattern. I was not an amateur sewer since I had been sewing since the age of 10 and making most of my clothes since the age of 11.

Sorry about it being so wrinkled but it has been packed for a long time and now is being re-packed for the moves.

It was hand beaded Austrian Crystal with all beading sewed individual and tied off. I also found several of their hand-beaded skating dresses I made when my girls were skating competitions. (roller) One of these days my daughter might want the beading which would cost a small fortune today.

Attachments

• 20210411_153200[1].jpg
    20210411_153200[1].jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210411_153207[1].jpg
    20210411_153207[1].jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 47
From one seamstress to another, STUNNING, I know what h_ll you went through with that collar and the beading, I have done some wedding and prom dresses and finally quit. My specialty is Heirloom Christening Gowns which I love doing, along with the heirloom clothing, although my grand's are getting older so I am doing more "modern" stuff as they age. Just found out I have another great-grand due in December, yay!

From one seamstress to another, STUNNING, I know what h_ll you went through with that collar and the beading, I have done some wedding and prom dresses and finally quit. My specialty is Heirloom Christening Gowns which I love doing, along with the heirloom clothing, although my grand's are getting older so I am doing more "modern" stuff as they age. Just found out I have another great-grand due in December, yay!
Actually, the beading and collar were the easy part. The stupid dress pattern she picked was the hard part. It was a very poor written pattern. The dress was actually made in panels that did not fit together so I had to re-cut and make them fit. Fortunately, my daughter was a toothpick and easy to fit at the time. :D Beading was something I loved to do. It was many moons ago since my daughter is now 42 and she was in high school at the time.

I used to sew. Made all my clothes, my husband’s shirts, all the clothes for the kids. Had a small business doing doing baby layettes, tailored LDS wedding dresses, custom work. I did a custom bodice for a wedding dress; cut-out appliqués down the sleeves, sequins, seed pearls. I had warned the gal that given her assets, the pattern she had chosen was going to be revealing and man was it! I had anticipated and picked up some soft tulle and wide lace and was able to make it more grandma friends. I said never again.

Then there was the year my oldest want to be a cat for Halloween. I had ‘fun fur’ every where!!! I was able to repurpose the pattern a few year later when I used it a the base for Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles. Green Broadcloth, 4 pillowcases dyed a darker shade of green, rounded the corners, stuffed, drew on the shell pattern with a marker and safety pinned on. Then the appropriate colored strips in Broadcloth for the masks, legs and arms..

I used to sew. Made all my clothes, my husband’s shirts, all the clothes for the kids. Had a small business doing doing baby layettes, tailored LDS wedding dresses, custom work. I did a custom bodice for a wedding dress; cut-out appliqués down the sleeves, sequins, seed pearls. I had warned the gal that given her assets, the pattern she had chosen was going to be revealing and man was it! I had anticipated and picked up some soft tulle and wide lace and was able to make it more grandma friends. I said never again.

Then there was the year my oldest want to be a cat for Halloween. I had ‘fun fur’ every where!!! I was able to repurpose the pattern a few year later when I used it a the base for Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles. Green Broadcloth, 4 pillowcases dyed a darker shade of green, rounded the corners, stuffed, drew on the shell pattern with a marker and safety pinned on. Then the appropriate colored strips in Broadcloth for the masks, legs and arms..
I used to make all my girl's Halloween costumes, which always cost twice as much as buying one. I would try to get them to go as skaters, lol, but of course that never worked. Tulle and lace and flesh-colored, nude, lycra, which was used always worked well for covering skin. I beaded a lot of lace appliqués to use on skating dresses, it was always a good shortcut. It is also what was used on the dress above.

While I never had a business sewing, I did make extra money sewing for people at times.

Latest posts

Back