BBW Mountain Frost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I found this at Lone Star Candles and am about to order it. Has anyone used it? What percent should I use it at? IFRA says safe up to a little over 9%. I want to use enough to get the scent to stick, not knock someone out! šŸ˜‚ Also, does it accelerate, rice, discolor, ect?

3-5% is what most of us use for soap.

I haven't tried that scent, never ordered from Lone Star. Do they have reviews? That's where you'll find a lot of good info about performance and fragrance "stick" if the company doesn't include it in their descriptions.

Take a gander at Nurture Soap or Micas and More, they tell you a lot about performance in their product description. There are a few others that also do.

3-5% is what most of us use for soap.

I haven't tried that scent, never ordered from Lone Star. Do they have reviews? That's where you'll find a lot of good info about performance and fragrance "stick" if the company doesn't include it in their descriptions.

Take a gander at Nurture Soap or Micas and More, they tell you a lot about performance in their product description. There are a few others that also do.
Thanks. Lone Star Candle Company doesn't have soaping test notes, just soap usage rates. They are limited in CP soaping reviews compared to candle reviews since that is their primary business. I've looked at Nurture, too, but this scent isn't anywhere else I've found. I was actually very surprised when I stumbled across it because it's a BBW scent that was discontinued ~20yrs ago.

Well, it didn't accelerate on me. I used a 40% lye concentration and soaped at room temp, for reference.
I also decided to make a charcoal soap with pumice for this one.
I believe this FO discolors, but because of the charcoal, it's really hard to say for sure. The top of my loaf was tinted yellowish, but not the rest of the loaf, so I chose to cut off the top and it seems fine.

I thought I remembered the basic usage rate was 1oz FO PPO, so that's 6% and that's what I used. I can literally taste the fragrance via smell! I am clearly much more sensitive to smells than DH, though, because he said he can only smell the soap when he literally holds it up to his nose!

Last edited:
Well, it didn't accelerate on me. I used a 40% lye concentration and soaped at room temp, for reference.
I also decided to make a charcoal soap with pumice for this one.
I believe this FO discolors, but because of the charcoal, it's really hard to say for sure. The top of my loaf was tinted yellowish, but not the rest of the loaf, so I chose to cut off the top and it seems fine.

I thought I remembered the basic usage rate was 1oz FO PPO, so that's 6% and that's what I used. I can literally taste the fragrance via smell! I am clearly much more sensitive to smells than DH, though, because he said he can only smell the soap when he literally holds it up to his nose! šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

20230403_105741.jpg

Ok, I get that it's only been a week-ish since I made this but if I wash with a sliver of this, the scent transfers and remains on my hands! Also, wowza it's super drying to my skin and I am so wishing I wouldn't have upped the coconut to 25% to compensate for running out of palm. Will the scent fade some during cure? Should I consider rebatching and adding a bit more olive or maybe some almond oil since I only used a 3% sf? I wonder if the heat would tame the scent. šŸ˜‚
Maybe I should just leave well enough alone and see what dh thinks and alter my next attempt accordingly. Ugh. I just wanted it to be the best because it's a gift.

It's been 3 weeks and I must say the smell has toned down and lost that cologne vibe that I could literally taste. It's interesting because it smells amazing oob without any of that distinct cologne smell, though not like the original BBW scent. Now, it smells much more on par with the body spray I remember from decades ago. I think this fo will be one I try again down the road with a different recipe. I'll just remember to banish the fresh soap to the garage for the first 3 weeks! šŸ¤£

Back