BB Kentish Rain

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered some Kentish Rain from Bramble Berry a while back. BB claims it does not accelerate, but the Fragrance Review chart and the Soap Scent Review forum have mixed reports. So, before I dive in, any advice from those of you who have used it? I was hoping to try a two color ITP swirl dropped into another two color ITP swirl. Is this FO too finicky for that, and would I be better off just hoping for a two to three color ITP swirl, work fast and get it in the mold?

My recollection is that it accelerated. I would use it but then only use a whisk to mix it. It can give a lot more working time with a water scent. I've used Salty Sailor and Ahoy Matey with a whisk (and Moroccan Fig) and been able to do 4 colors, ITPs, swirls and the like. You just have to control yourself from panicking when you start to whisk and the whole thing starts to look gelatinous. Keep whisking and it will smooth out and be thick but soft and definitely workable.

If you happen to have one of those odd experiences of using an accelerator and then everything stays fluid (had them- they are so odd), you can always resort to your stick blender.

Thank you newbie. I think I will simplify my plans a bit and use colors that will still look OK if I have to dump it all together and stick blend. I have had that odd quick to thicken and then hold steady acceleration happen. it is pretty strange.

I've never used Kentish Rain but did use BB's Hot Apple Pie over the weekend and it had very mixed reviews for CP. I ended up mixing to emulsion then split the batch 4 ways, added color and hand-stirred the FO right before pouring each layer. It was the weirdest thing, the FO almost seemed to thin trace which I totally wasn't expecting. But I have a feeling it would have been a disaster to add the FO with base oils so I second newbie's suggestion to blend by hand. I bet you could easily do a 2-3 color ITP swirl with this method.

In a 95% co, 5% castor oil recipe, BB Kentish Rain caused some ricing, and I suspect some acceleration but it was hard to tell because I was sb'ing the ricing. It was all manageable, though this was a single color batch. These were salt bars and naturally heated up - but this heated enough to crack the top.

I like the scent and will use again!

The first time I ever soaped Kentish Rain, it accelerated like crazy on me and gelled really hot, and it also gave me my first ever glycerin rivers I'd ever experienced up to that time- but in a few of my bars the glycerin rivers actually looked like perfectly formed raindrops, so it was hard for me to remain too disappointed for very long. lol

The second time I soaped Kentish Rain I did things a bit differently and it went so much smoother for me. I used it at a rate of .75 oz. ppo, and I used more water (a 30% lye solution).

This is how I went about it: I brought my batter to emulsion, split it off into 2 portions to add color so I could do a 2-colored swirl, then I added 1/2 of my FO amount to each portion and hand-stirred it in only- no stick-blending. I then simultaneously hand-stirred each portion of colored/scented batter to medium trace (took only a minute or 2) and simultaneously poured each into my mold in a criss-cross pattern before finishing things off with an in-the-mold swirl while the batter was still workable (it doesn't stay workable for too very long, but you can get some nice swirling done if you're quick enough).

IrishLass :)

I used an accelerating FO - Spicy Christmas - at 33% lye conc and barely got it into the mold. I used the same FO in 30% lye concentration (same recipe), soaped cool and just hand blended. I even had to SB in the end so I could do some layers!
I think the different lye concentrations might account for some of the different reports on the FO sites and the SMF spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm hoping to have time to try something with it this weekend. I really like the scent, so fingers crossed that it goes well enough to use it again. I plan to keep it simple, and will stir it in just before pouring.

Irish Lass, thanks for sharing your usage rate. And I don't mind glycerin rivers when they happen, so at least I won't have that be a disappointment if it happens.

Mission accomplished! Thanks to all the advice it went pretty well. It was only somewhat speedy wanted to rice but not too bad to work with. And since we love pics, here's one of a few of the bars.

IMG_20161003_182730814.jpg

Back