BB and CC cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
I have such trouble with this one.. I want to create my own BB cream and do what i need since i can never find a good one but i want to make it from scratch. Can anyone direct me? I didn't want to use my usual lotion i make as it is thick.. I was thinking i needed a lighter skin lotion.. All the recipes i find have store bought make up.. What kind of face lotions do you use to create? Thanks for any help. This is one i really want to master since i have purchased so many and not what i was thinking.. lol

Hello, Actually bb cream is a lighter version of foundation with some coverage brighteners for people that do not want to wear foundation. It should brighten and even out skin tone and hide some imperfections.. Just a lighter version of foundation.. I hear there is CC and DD also but will look those up. I just can't seem to figure a good skin face lotion along with what makes it a bb cream...Mine seem too heavy to be a bb cream base. Thanks.

BB Cream is generally a Blemish Balm and CC Cream is a Color Corrector. They are both fairly light but some are just as heavy or heavier than foundation.

I was under the impression (havent looked it up or anything) that what makes BB and CC creams work is that they sit on top of the skin and have a light airy feel.

You aren't going to be able to achieve that with natural oils unless you add some silicones into the mix. They help to create that dryer feeling that doesn't feel heavy. I would probably guess most have dimethicone and other silicones.

I went ahead and looked it up:
Here are the ingredients from Tarte (most of the ones I've looked up are silicone based like this):
Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Mica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Diamond Powder, Iron Oxides

Bare minerals doesnt have silicones though (then again, they also don't call it a BB/CC cream):
Water, Coconut Alkanes, Propanediol, Squalane, Trehalose, Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Silica, Agar, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Globularia Cordifolia Callus Culture Extract, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, Melilotus Officinalis Extract, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene Glycol, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Succinoglycan, Polysorbate 60, Cellulose Gum, Polyglyceryl-4 Laurate/Succinate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Hydroxide, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

Looks like it might be expensive to make yourself too and time consuming as well. But, if you have the time and ingredients it might be interesting to try.

Yes -those ingredients are something i would never use.. I wonder how people do a nice light foundation base. I know i have some books maybe i will take a look. I just like the lighter airier feel --not the heavingess.. I know some of the bb creams is for evening out skin tone brightening but not foundation full coverage.. but the cc i thought was anti aging.. Well I may just have to look into making a light liquid foundation.. Thanks everyone...

To my knowledge, the light feeling you get from some foundations actually comes from those silicones like cyclopentasiloxane and dimeticone. I don't know you'll be able to achieve that same feeling with the natural trigyceride oils and butters. They have that heavy and oily feel. I'm not saying the natural oils will be bad, only that you may not get exactly what you're looking for.

Let us know what you find though! I'd be interested in it regardless.

I work at a place where we make the silicones that go into some of those cosmetic formulations although we don't make the cosmetics themselves. I've touched some of the raw materials and they have that slippery and dry feeling that the BB creams I've seen have.

ETA: Oh, and I don't know the difference between them (bb/cc). I don't really wear make up but, my mom gave me a BB cream for the holidays last year. Not my cup of tea! lol.

I didn't realize how much of those are silicones and such.. I wish there was a more easier way. I will have to do some research and see what i find to see what i can figure out.. Thanks all for the input...

Back