"Bay Rum"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
Soo... I've never smelled Bay Rum and mostly because I've seen the scent described as "Old Spice" which I cannot stand. So I've avoided buying any. I made some beard oil recently and gave it to a friend to try. He loves it and asked me to try and duplicate the scent of his old beard oil. The essential oils on the description read: "West Indies Bay, Elemi, cardamom & Rosemary" what I smell is orange peel and clove and something else I don't recognize. Is this what Bay Rum smells like? Does anyone have one they recommend? The company that makes the oil is Brooklyn Grooming red hook classic beard oil. It smells awesome.

"Bay Rum"

Ah! Thank you!! I tried the search and it decided not to work and then I tried scrolling, but I guess not far enough! that was just what I was looking for!

I just edited my last post in that thread to give an update on things. :)

I had never smelled real Bay Rum either until I got my bottle of the West Indies Bay from Mtn. Rose Herbs the other day, which I talk about in my added update.

Just so you know- it doesn't smell much like Old Spice at all- at least not to my nose, anyway. I love Old Spice, btw, and have some on hand, and when comparing the 2 side by side, there's a definite difference between them. The Bay EO seems to be more heavily spicy/heady, while the old Spice has a lighter, airier, more citrusy feeling to it.

IrishLass :)

I just edited my last post in that thread to give an update on things. :)

I had never smelled real Bay Rum either until I got my bottle of the West Indies Bay from Mtn. Rose Herbs the other day, which I talk about in my added update.

Just so you know- it doesn't smell much like Old Spice at all- at least not to my nose, anyway. I love Old Spice, btw, and have some on hand, and when comparing the 2 side by side, there's a definite difference between them. The Bay EO seems to be more heavily spicy/heady, while the old Spice has a lighter, airier, more citrusy feeling to it.

IrishLass :)

Thanks so much IrishLass! This was the exact info I needed. Since this Beard oil doesn't specifically say "bay rum" I just wanted to get a good description of what bay rum actually was... And it smells just like you described. I have cinnamon, clove and Orange EO's so I went ahead and ordered allspice, and Bay rum (pimento racemosa) from Camden Grey, and I threw some Elemi in the cart too just to see if I can come close.

Latest posts

Back