Bathbombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but why would you? Do you mean putting soap in a bath bomb, or do you mean putting lye in it?
I make a slightly modified version of this for toilet cleaning, which has some shredded soap and hence lye. But straight lye...?

I want to make a bath bomb that will actually clean you (that will have soap in it)

No, but why would you? Do you mean putting soap in a bath bomb, or do you mean putting lye in it?
I make a slightly modified version of this for toilet cleaning, which has some shredded soap and hence lye. But straight lye...?
Soap would be fine

Look up synthetic detergents (syndets). Most body washes and beauty bars use these ingredients to get you clean (there’s legal about the definition of soap but that’s a different story)

the swiftcraftymonkey blog is very good about explaining the ins and outs of syndets and similar ingredients. It’s a paid blog ($1 on patron) but Susan is fantastic about explaining why she uses certain ingredients.

I want to make a bath bomb that will actually clean you (that will have soap in it)
You can definitely put some syndet surfactants in bathbombs. You can also put shredded soap into it (that's what the link I gave above has). Perhaps you could experiment with putting a bit of liquid soap paste into it, although I haven't done that and have some doubts. But putting lye in it on its own definitely won't make it a cleansing bath bomb, it will just make it an unusably burning one.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!! Does anyone have a good bathbomb recipe that includes syndet surfactants?

Just as an aside, if you make shower bombs, or bath bombs that you intend to rub on your skin: if you have any sort of blemish, small cut, you will have stinging from the citric acid.

Back