Bath soak gas and exploding containers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassyriver

Reaction score
I've never made a bath soak before. I was following a recipe of:

3 cups Epsom Salt
2 cups Dead Sea Salt
1 cup Baking Soda

I split the recipe up to scent it 3 different ways with about half leftover unscented. All of the scented ones I have sitting spread out in pans to dry. I put the leftovers in a ziploc bag and just realized that it keeps blowing up with gas after an hour or so. I have a feeling it's the baking soda but I know zilch about why/how it is happening.

My question is will my bath soaks explode if I put them in glass jars with lids as I had intended? I was going to mail these as Mother's Day gifts to the women in my life but now I'm worried.

Yes it's the baking soda reacting to the moisture and air. Probably from the dead sea salts :( but no they won't explode a glass jar. At least mine didn't although I was pretty sure they were going to pop the seal on the ziplock bag lol

I've had the same problem with bags popping from the gasses. The ziplocs did pop, but luckily they were heat-sealed foil bags, and the heat seal held. Still have to repackage them before I sell/gift them though. I've ordered some silica gel packs, which will hopefully help combat this.

Well I ended up leaving the ziploc bag open and it eventually stopped gassing up. I tried baking part of the salts too to see if that made a difference. It helped dry them out (after scenting) and they also stopped giving off gas. Guess I just didn't wait long enough!

Latest posts

Back