Bath Salts Question---Please Help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickett

Reaction score
I am wondering if when making bath salts do you need to somehow dry the salts after you add coloring and scents before you bottle them? Any and all help, information, input or anything at all will be very grateful. In advance Many Thanks for the help.

Krickett

i think it depends what you put in it to color....if you use a water based colorant (like food coloring), then probably a bit of drying would be best. theoretically with that little bit of water and so much salt, nothing should grow, but bacteria and fungus are amazing creatures.

if you are just using FO, EO, and non water based colorant, then I wouldn't dry them.

I don't dry out my bath salts and I use a very, very small amount of distilled water to mix with the colorant. Being exposed to the air for a length of time may weaken the fragrance. My salts don't last very long bc they get used up quickly which helps alot!

I say yes, yes, yes, spread them out on wax paper & let them dry for 48 hours. I have had bath salts mold & you don't always know they have molded untill your customer opens the pack. It's worth the extra effort to save a customer & save yourself the embarassment!

You have to dry them if you expect of keeping them for a long time. You have to remove the excess moisture within the salts and the container as well.

Tabitha said:
I say yes, yes, yes, spread them out on wax paper & let them dry for 48 hours. I have had bath salts mold & you don't always know they have molded untill your customer opens the pack. It's worth the extra effort to save a customer & save yourself the embarassment!

How about if you add glycerin (about 1-2 Tbsp) to your bath salts? Should I not add glycerin? I wanted to add this as a skin moisturizer. I would assume that you would definitely need to dry out the salts since this could inhibit mold/bacteria.

Am I right about this?

Will using different types of salts make a difference in the drying or the need to dry? Which are the best type to use? A friend recommended just using epsom salts. Will the salts absorb or dry at a different rate?

I put mine on a lined cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet in the over on the bread proofing setting. Every once in a while I stir so the salts will dry evenly.

Latest posts

Back