Bath Salts Losing Scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynewbie

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm kind of new to all of this, so I'm looking for some some solid advice. I'm experimenting with different bath salt recipes and noticed that they tend to lose their scent after a few days. At first, I was using a mixture of Epsom Salts, Dendritic Salts, Dead Sea Salts, Baking sodas, a few carrier oils such as coconut, sweet almond, jojoba, etc (I would use different carrier oils depending on the EO or FO i was using) and a EQ or FO. Using this recipe, I noticed that the salts would harden and clump together and they would be more of a sandy/dusty consistency rather than a consistency of bath salts that you would buy from the market. So I used the same formula but omitted the dendritic salt. I also started adding about a tablespoon of glycerin to them as I read that this could help with preventing clumping. So the they're not clumping as much but I noticed that after about a day, the scent isn't as strong as it was on the first day that I made and used them in the bath. I will admit that I let them air dry on a piece of wax paper for about 6 hours to help with removing some of the moisture. Could this be the reason why they lost scent so quickly? Should I also omit the use of the baking soda? I spent over 7 months researching all of this and read that it's good to add to the bath salts as they help with locking in the scent on the skin but is this really necessary? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I really just want them to hold their scent and not clump/harden once packaged. I will also add that I am storing them in plastic jars with screw top lids.

I can't help at all as I don't make bath salts but I would absolutely remove the baking soda. I know my skin hates baking soda, its one reason I can't use bath bombs.

What percent dendritic salt were you using? I use 3 tablespoons dendritic salt for every 2 cups other salt. I mix the FO or EO with the dendritic salt before adding to the rest of the salts.

Latest posts

Back