Bath salt help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy8

Reaction score
Help! How can i keep my bath salts from clumping? I make mine with epsom salts. I've heard kosher salts don't clump, but they are expensive. I was hoping there was something I could do to help prevent clumping.

I only use Dead Sea salt and they never clump- lessen fragrance maybe? I add a little Jojoba or whatever other oil I have on hand then some FO and never have clumping issues.
I also let them sit for a week in a sealed glass container and shake them up every once a day gently.

Mix your fo with dendric salt. Dendric salt does not clump and will help hold the fo.

you could add a bit of cornstarch.......

what is the texture of the bath salts that you make?

I do this because mine are super ultra uber fine in texture.

a slightly off topic bath salt question....i was looking around for instruction to make bath salts scented with essential oils...some of the recipes said to let the salts dry on a baking sheet for a few hours, but these were the ones that included colorant. If i don't add anything water based, I wouldn't have to let them dry would I? i was afraid the EOs would all dissipate if i did that!

faithy said:

I have read that cornstarch can cause yeast infections....YUCK! I made a whole batch of bath bombs using a recipe that called for cornstarch, then after doing a little more research, I tossed ALL of them and started again using just citric acid and baking soda. Personally, I avoid cornstarch because, well, who wants a yeast infection?!?! (and also because my kids use my products and that's the last thing I'd wish on my 3 yr old daughter!)

kelly

mcleodnaturals said:
faithy said:

I have read that cornstarch can cause yeast infections....YUCK! I made a whole batch of bath bombs using a recipe that called for cornstarch, then after doing a little more research, I tossed ALL of them and started again using just citric acid and baking soda. Personally, I avoid cornstarch because, well, who wants a yeast infection?!?! (and also because my kids use my products and that's the last thing I'd wish on my 3 yr old daughter!)

kelly

nope kelly you have that mixed up with sugar, now that can cause yeast infections however cornstarch is ok to use. I mean you wouldn't want half your tub filled with it, but a bath bomb or two or three is just fine in the tub.

And apart from the fact that when you take a bath water does not go up and into that area on it's own.

but this was taken from the monistat web site

http://www.monistat.ca/english/common.html

Prevention
There are several things you can do that may help prevent the recurrence of yeast infections:

Maintain proper hygiene - ~snip~ by thoroughly towelling off after bathing or dusting with plain cornstarch to absorb excess moisture.~snip~

~snip~ Remember, yeast thrives on sugar, ~snip~

Back