Bath salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Here are the bars I made using bath salts I got at the dollar store. I didn't get the salts ground as fine as I would have liked, made it a bit hard to cut but I'm happy how they turned out.
The lighter part only has the color from the bath salts, the dark bits I used pink eyeshadow to color.
Used 50% salt.

2uepdoh.jpg

n51p46.jpg

5mib0x.jpg

24w4rko.jpg

Thank you, I think the colors are great. The ingredients are: sodium chloride, glycerin, fragrance. I was really hoping the scent of the bath salt would stay but it didn't.

Thank you, I think the colors are great. The ingredients are: sodium chloride, glycerin, fragrance. I was really hoping the scent of the bath salt would stay but it didn't.

I always fragrance my salts at least 9% of oil weight to make up for the salt. Salt will absorb a lot of your fragrance and a pre-fragranced bath salt will never hold fo in a salt bar. This is just my opinion and I make a lot of salt bars.

Beautiful soap! Every time I see a salt bar on here, I want to make one. I have some Himalayan salt just waiting to jump into one. If I add one more soap to my "collection" they're going to commit me!

I think any ingredients besides the salt would be so minuet that it really shouldn't matter. My other baths salt have mineral oil instead of glycerin, I was going to use it but I didn't have enough so I got the pink ones.
The true test will be using the cured bars but I look forward to trying different bath salts in the future.

Pretty in Pink!! so delicate looking! I've got to try another batch of salt bars one of these days

Oh darn about the scent not sticking, but the soaps turned out so pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

It's lovely! And the colors too.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

How clever using bath salts from the dollar store. Tonight in my local grocery store I looked at Himalayan sea salt and other salts from around the world. I was shocked at the price -- over $25 per pound! $155 for only 6 lbs!! I don't know much about salt bars, but I really don't need to go there if there is a strong reason to use the primo ingredients. Glad you've brought it down to reality for me.

How clever using bath salts from the dollar store. Tonight in my local grocery store I looked at Himalayan sea salt and other salts from around the world. I was shocked at the price -- over $25 per pound! $155 for only 6 lbs!! I don't know much about salt bars, but I really don't need to go there if there is a strong reason to use the primo ingredients. Glad you've brought it down to reality for me.

:Kitten Love: Wow, that's expensive! I was at Costco the other day getting OO and I also got some Himalayan Pink salt. The containers are 13 oz. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't a lot. I got a couple of them for salt bars.

Yikes, thats way too expensive for Himalayan salt. The local grocery sells a course ground brownish salt that look similar to himalayan but is only $6 for a pound. One of these days I do want to make a nice bar with a natural colored salt but for the most part, I use canning and pickling salt. If I sold my bars I would use better stuff.

San Francisco Salt Company is the best place to buy salts. Right now Himalayan is 23.99 for 10 lbs with free shipping. They also ship very fast. This way you are getting pure Himalayan salt and not the other ingredients that may be in inexpensive bath salts. I just prefer to know I am getting pure salts

Back