Bath Fizz Powder - Hard as a rock!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brunehe

Reaction score
Hello! I am wanting to make a bath fizz powder (as opposed to a bath bomb). I have made a few test runs which seemed to turn out okay, but now I am having a few significant issues. 1.) My powder recipe is turning as hard as a rock. I would say it would be a perfect bath bomb - but definitely not what I was going for. 2.) Once I seal it in a bag - the bag begins expanding with air. I have even had a few of the pop. I did try drying it out for a few days before sealing, and it still expanded. I live in a mostly hot and dry climate during the summer months. Any idea what is causing these problems?

Hello! I am wanting to make a bath fizz powder (as opposed to a bath bomb). I have made a few test runs which seemed to turn out okay, but now I am having a few significant issues. 1.) My powder recipe is turning as hard as a rock. I would say it would be a perfect bath bomb - but definitely not what I was going for. 2.) Once I seal it in a bag - the bag begins expanding with air. I have even had a few of the pop. I did try drying it out for a few days before sealing, and it still expanded. I live in a mostly hot and dry climate during the summer months. Any idea what is causing these problems?
It would be easier for us to help problem solve if we knew your recipe.

I've had that happen before and I poked some very small holes (with a sewing pin) to help release some of the pressure.

Yes - I have poking pinholes on my list of things to try next. Here is my recipe: 1.6oz baking soda, 0.8oz citric acid, 0.8oz epsom salt, 4grams tapioca starch (helps absorb the oils),1.3 grams essential oils

I just recently made a batch of Bubbly Bath Salts, which uses a base blend of Sea Salt, Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt, Dead Sea Salt, and Baking Soda. I left it on my kitchen table, in an open bowl, and the next morning it was rock hard. I literally had to chip away at it in order to loosen it up enough to add the remaining ingredients. Dead Sea Salt and Epsom Salt both absorb moisture from wherever they can get it. I'm a little north of you and it's hot and usually dry here as well but there's still moisture in the air.

The recipe I use makes use of Dendritic Salt to disperse the fragrance oils, with added tapioca starch. And, it also suggests leaving the final mixture spread on a rimmed baking sheet to dry for a few hours before packaging. Even then, I still poke a tiny breathing hole in each bag.

Good to know. It sounds like poking a hole in the bag is a semi-common practice. I've seen several brands in stores that package fizz powder in sealed bags - I wonder if they do the same. It does not look like they use breathable bags... Going to keep experimenting!

Yes - I have poking pinholes on my list of things to try next. Here is my recipe: 1.6oz baking soda, 0.8oz citric acid, 0.8oz epsom salt, 4grams tapioca starch (helps absorb the oils),1.3 grams essential oils
Baking soda combined with citric acid produces carbon dioxide. That is what makes the mixture fizz when it meets the water in tub. The carbon dioxide being made by the mixture of citric acid and baking soda means the bags will continue to expand. I store similar bath mixes in zip top bags but I leave a small end section of the bag unzipped to let air escape. I do not sell and store less than a few lbs at a time. BulkApothecary has the bags I use. Hope this is helpful.

Baking soda combined with citric acid produces carbon dioxide. That is what makes the mixture fizz when it meets the water in tub. The carbon dioxide being made by the mixture of citric acid and baking soda means the bags will continue to expand. I store similar bath mixes in zip top bags but I leave a small end section of the bag unzipped to let air escape. I do not sell and store less than a few lbs at a time. BulkApothecary has the bags I use. Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the valuable feedback. I am finding that the epsom salt is also problematic. I have a few more test runs with different salts so we will see what happens over the next few days! Some sealed, some with the bag left open to dry.

Hi brunehe! This is over a year old but I am hoping you'll see this.. Did you ever find out why your fizz powder was turning hard? I am trying to make the same thing and encountering the same problem you described. I packaged the items up in a kraft bag with clear front and it turned into a rock - like a bath bomb! I'm in California so there isn't humidity. I'm so confused :(

Hi brunehe! This is over a year old but I am hoping you'll see this.. Did you ever find out why your fizz powder was turning hard? I am trying to make the same thing and encountering the same problem you described. I packaged the items up in a kraft bag with clear front and it turned into a rock - like a bath bomb! I'm in California so there isn't humidity. I'm so confused :(
Brunehe hasn't been here since their last post above.

Your answer is in post #4 above by @Misschief.

Back