Bath bombs won't stick in mini mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icg

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I made bathbombs yesterday and the large (80mm) ones worked amazing. Although I may need to add a bit more mica and fragrance. However, the mini molds, (30mm; around 1 inch) won't stick the 2 bath bombs. I added even more coconut oil, but then it just became a wet mess. Is there anything I may need to do to make it stick to a mini mold?

It is a small plastic based mold with no handles or anything.

I am not sure what you mean when you say the bath bombs won't stick. Are you trying to make round bath bombs and saying that the two halves won't stick together?

If you do mean the two halves won't stick together, I found with the smaller ones, that if I pack them too tight they stick to the mold and not together. So I loosely fill each half and mound the centers, then squish them together.

When you were trying to make the minis, were you nearing the end of your batch? The longer my mixture sits, the more difficult it can be to work with. If I'm making smaller bombs I start those first.

I am not sure what you mean when you say the bath bombs won't stick. Are you trying to make round bath bombs and saying that the two halves won't stick together?

I'm talking about the 2 halves

If you do mean the two halves won't stick together, I found with the smaller ones, that if I pack them too tight they stick to the mold and not together. So I loosely fill each half and mound the centers, then squish them together.

I tried that and when I loosely fill them together, it falls apart when it comes out.

When you were trying to make the minis, were you nearing the end of your batch? The longer my mixture sits, the more difficult it can be to work with. If I'm making smaller bombs I start those first.

Wonder why that may be happening. I made big ones first though and the mixture was sitting for around 10 min. Maybe rubbing alcohol spray would help?

Wonder why that may be happening. I made big ones first though and the mixture was sitting for around 10 min. Maybe rubbing alcohol spray would help?

Maybe. Bombs can be tricky. I rarely add more oil to base mix. Maybe a few sprays of alcohol/witch hazel. Too much alcohol makes a powder too much witch hazel sets off the citric acid.

If I have bombs that will not form into my ball mold, I spray each half with witch hazel and leave them in the mold for 3 or so hours.

Hi everyone. I made bathbombs yesterday and the large (80mm) ones worked amazing. Although I may need to add a bit more mica and fragrance. However, the mini molds, (30mm; around 1 inch) won't stick the 2 bath bombs. I added even more coconut oil, but then it just became a wet mess. Is there anything I may need to do to make it stick to a mini mold?

It is a small plastic based mold with no handles or anything.

I also use coconut oil, when you use them in the tub does the coconut oil float on the surface of the water very visibly, and clump on bottom of the tub when it is drained?

I also use coconut oil, when you use them in the tub does the coconut oil float on the surface of the water very visibly, and clump on bottom of the tub when it is drained?

I use some polysorbate 80. Maybe that prevents clumping?

I use some polysorbate 80. Maybe that prevents clumping?
Yes it does and I purchased some and will be giving it a try soon when it arrives. I see all of these formulas online that use oils and none mention adding anything to make the oils mix together with water and not float. Didn't know if others were just accepting the floating oil or not mentioning that they also use a surfactant?

SoapQueen had an article a while back about adding an emulsifier to a bath oil for the reasons you mention. Many people who make bath bombs do use SLS/A and probably don't have the oil slick issue.

I don't use an emulsifier yet (it's on the short list) and I might be an odd one out, but when I use one of my homemade bath bombs I find most of the oils end up sticking to me and not the tub. It's been a while (I just used up my overstock) but I think the only oil I used was coconut and in earlier ones I added cocoa butter.

Bentonite clay

Speaking of ingredients, do you guys use clay? I see lots of people using kaolin clay, but can bentonite clay be an alternative to make the bombs harder?

SoapQueen had an article a while back about adding an emulsifier to a bath oil for the reasons you mention. Many people who make bath bombs do use SLS/A and probably don't have the oil slick issue.

I don't use an emulsifier yet (it's on the short list) and I might be an odd one out, but when I use one of my homemade bath bombs I find most of the oils end up sticking to me and not the tub. It's been a while (I just used up my overstock) but I think the only oil I used was coconut and in earlier ones I added cocoa butter.

I see SLS & SLSA are very common emulsifiers and also very cheap. It's in just about everything, most soap, toothpaste, shampoo etc. I also read the ingredients on Lush's site and they use it. However I've noticed that there is a lot of people who are concerned with using products that have SLS in it because of it possibly causing cancer , and some people say it irritates their skin. So I have been a little reluctant to try that.

Back