Bath bombs/shower melts vs humidity?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravens Craig Apothecary

Reaction score
I am new to making bath bombs and shower melts. Finally I made some that turned out well. They held their shape, they fizzed nicely and smelled divine. NOW... how do I stop them from swelling? I have some stored in candle jars, the ones with the plastic seal. No good. They swelled and after couple days are sitting in a lump together. I put some in a jar with the rubber ring and metal wire flip tab. They lasted a couple days longer but now they are swelled and lumped together. The ones I had stored in plastic tubs down in the store room that I thought was cool and dry are now a week later all showing swelling and some stuck together. We have a mild wet winter up here in the Okanagan of BC and I was wondering if humidity was really high and the culprit or if I am missing some storage facts?

I am new to making bath bombs and shower melts. Finally I made some that turned out well. They held their shape, they fizzed nicely and smelled divine. NOW... how do I stop them from swelling? I have some stored in candle jars, the ones with the plastic seal. No good. They swelled and after couple days are sitting in a lump together. I put some in a jar with the rubber ring and metal wire flip tab. They lasted a couple days longer but now they are swelled and lumped together. The ones I had stored in plastic tubs down in the store room that I thought was cool and dry are now a week later all showing swelling and some stuck together. We have a mild wet winter up here in the Okanagan of BC and I was wondering if humidity was really high and the culprit or if I am missing some storage facts?
Welcome Ravens Craig! I'm in the Okanagan, too, and the humidity right now is pretty high. It can definitely cause swelling and softness. If you have it, a dehumidifier might help. Another thing that might (might!) help is those little silicone packets that come in everything these days. I have a bag full of them and have stored some of my bath bombs in a tin with a dozen or so of those packets. At this time of year, I don't even bother trying to make bath bombs. It would just be asking for a fail.

ETA: one other suggestion... you might try using a little less liquid.

Welcome Ravens Craig! I'm in the Okanagan, too, and the humidity right now is pretty high. It can definitely cause swelling and softness. If you have it, a dehumidifier might help. Another thing that might (might!) help is those little silicone packets that come in everything these days. I have a bag full of them and have stored some of my bath bombs in a tin with a dozen or so of those packets. At this time of year, I don't even bother trying to make bath bombs. It would just be asking for a fail.

ETA: one other suggestion... you might try using a little less liquid.
I was thinking the same thing- wait and make them in the drier months. Thanks for the input and Viva la Okanagan!

I'm new to the site also and I'm having issues with just my lavender bath bombs, no other scent, just the lavender. I'm using the same recipe as all others that I make and the lavender will not stick together and it's driving me crazy! I've even used a different brand of EO and that doesn't help. I live in TN where we have had a significant amount of rain but it's only affecting my lavender. Could I possibly place in refrigerator for a while with them in the molds? I can't figure this out for the life of me!

Back