Quantcast

Bath Bombs + Humidity = :(

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Stella Marie

Reaction score
At the end of last year, I finally perfected my bath bomb recipe. After MANY botched attempts. [Far more frustrating to work with than soap, I have found.] Things were moving along just great.

Until.

UNTIL.

The humidity came to town.

I made a huge special order for a really good customer and the day after it was complete, all the bombs started to grow bumps and became very soft on the outside. I nearly cried. Same recipe as always, same everything. Except for the level of humidity, which I never thought about before because I live in New England. It's normally pretty steady, but when those spring and summer months come around - forgetaboutit.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment. Any suggestions as to how I can continue to make bath bombs into the summer without the bumpy problems?

I need advice quickly, as I stayed up very late REMAKING all of the bath bombs and they are currently taking up too much residence in my refrigerator.

Laurie

Reaction score
I don't know very much about them, but can you put a fan on them, gently?

Laurie

WilsonFamilyPicnic

Reaction score
how about a spare closet (i guess that is usually an oxymoron though!) with a de-humidifier in it? then seal them up in an airtight container or package after they dry.

Stella Marie

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, guys! Maybe I will try a combination of these 2 solutions.

They are fine once they are completely dry.

Laurie

Reaction score
I am in the experimental stages right now. I just did 3 batches this past week. First batch 1 out of the 4 or 5 turned out.
2nd batch all 4 turned out good.
3rd batch 2 turned out. But I definitely could feel it in the texture of the mixture so I am learning as I go.
Hope everything went ok with your bombs.

Laurie

Stella Marie

Reaction score
It is very "trial by error" and weird things can happen even after you've done it a hundred times. But it's a pretty good feeling when they look as good as you intended them to.

Tabitha

Reaction score
When they don't look so good, smash em' w/ a hammer, pour them into a cello bag & label it fizzy bath powder or combine w/ salt & label fizzing bath salts :roll: .

The humidity is messing w/ my unwrapped glycerin soap loaves too!

Stella Marie

Reaction score
Tabitha - that is genius! I've been putting them aside to use as "testers" during my spa parties, but geez, you only need so many!

I took them all out of the fridge and now they are quietly sitting with hand towels gently placed over them. The humidity is low, but I don't want to take any chances!

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
I gave up doing bombs last year too...they kept doing the exact same thing to me! Very very frustrating!!! And I live in southern Alberta which is basically very dry farmland, not much for humidity here.

I started making fizzing bath melts because I just love the fizzy part, but I hated the finicky-ness of the bombs. I use cocoa butter, citric acid, baking soda and a liquid oil like grapeseed. They work awesome!!

Lane

Reaction score
This is the first year I have NEVER had to worry about humidity! I'm in dry heat now and I swear the dry air has made soaping TONS easier. My love to you all dealing with the humidity!

...I have A LOT of fizzing Bath Powder... :oops: