bath Bombs Ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrhh!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
I hate making bath bombs! I have been making them for 5 years, I ALWAYS use the exact same recipe & sometimes they dry hard as a rock in just a few days & sometimes they never dry. Why is that? I made a giant batch the other day & split it into 6 portions, each I scented a different frarance oil. 2 batches are hard, 4 are moist & will crumble if you touch them. They have been drying for about 12 days. I don't get it!

2 parts baking soda
1 part citric acid
1 part baking soda
1 part sunflower oil (little more, little less)

fragrance oil
food coloring

I've only attempted bath bombs twice. Too frustrating both times. I gave up.

I wonder if humidity & temperatures play w/ dry time, etc...

I've never made them before. I think that might be my next project.

what about the type of oil used? I use sweet almond oil and it keeps pretty good. I'm no expert though. I had to buy a meatballer to make them round cause I couldn't do it myself. When I did try myself it didn't work so instead I had little jars and made bath salts out of them. Still worked out very nice LOL

OK gals,
Those dang bombs are still not dry & it's been a month! Same recipe I have always used. I made bombs w/ thate same recipe about 2 months back & they were hard as rocks w/i a week, you could drop them w/o them breaking. I don't get it... SAME RECIPE! I have used the same recipe for 4-5 years & they dry hard 3 out of 4 batches. (Knocking head on desk.)

Well if certain pieces aren't hardening then add some more oil to oil and mix into it thoroughly. I made mine with sweet almond oil. Maybe change the oil and see what happens. :D

Re do is the name of our business. I have tried the bath bomb thing about five times til I got it right. Soap wooo even more. The greatest thing I feel is that I have found others to help me on my journey and thank god for all of you.

I know i'm new on here but have been making bath bombs for a couple of years now and just wanted to add this.

So many times i have read that people can't dry their bath bombs because of humidty and the fact they have oil in them.

i have a no fail recipe that i use and i have never had a problem in making bath bombs, if the humidity is high i set the oven on low and put them on a baking sheet in the oven for a couple of hours.

my recipe is
2 parts sodium bicarbonate
1 part citric acid
1/2 part of cornflower
1/2 part epsom salts (although sometimes i leave them out)
seive the above together and mix well stir and stir again, add a few drops of color to get the desired color you want, then add your fo or eo,

blend and blend and blend

then get a spritzer bottle full of witch hazel spray the mix while stirring with the other hand, depending on the size of your batch you will need to spray until it clumps together and molds in your hands without falling apart,

put loosely into molds and leave a slight mound on each one, push them together and leave in molds until you have finished molding the whole batch, then gently tap them out. lay then on baking sheet to dry and spritz the outside with witch hazel, after an hour turn them over and spritz the other side, hey presto one batch of hard bath bombs that fizz for around 2-3 minutes in the bath and don't even break when you drop one from table height onto a hard floor as i did the other day.

if humid then before you begin simply turn the heat on your oven on the lowest setting possible and let it warm up, make you bath bombs, when ready turn the oven off and pop them in the oven for an hour to two to dry, then spritz gently with witch hazel and again leave to dry.

i have to say everytime i've tried to use an oil or butter in the mix it always fails to harden.

Hi mai!

I prefer the bombs w/ oil in them even though they can be a pain in the behind. I tell my customers my fizzies disolve into a bath oil so the witch hazel isn't an option for me though I know many people who swear by them!

I do know my problem must have something to do w/ humidity. I have popped them in a slightly warm oven a few times & it does sdry them quicker & better, but it also causes them to spread out & flatten a bit. I am sure that is due to the oil as well. :roll:

Although I usually make mine with almond oil, I opted for just baking soda, citric acid, cocoa butter, and vanilla fo. They smell amazing and I decided to call them Cocoa Nilla bombs. I'm not that creative so that's the best I could do LOL

BathBombscocoanilla.jpg

As you can see two of them decided to be unruly and two others decided not to form whole balls! My daughter helped me do this and she can't wait to try a small one!

It does make sense that cocoa butter would make a firmer bomb. Thanks.

Tabitha said:
Hi mai!

I prefer the bombs w/ oil in them even though they can be a pain in the behind. I tell my customers my fizzies disolve into a bath oil so the witch hazel isn't an option for me though I know many people who swear by them!

I do know my problem must have something to do w/ humidity. I have popped them in a slightly warm oven a few times & it does sdry them quicker & better, but it also causes them to spread out & flatten a bit. I am sure that is due to the oil as well. :roll:

You can still use witch hazel if you use oils in your bath bombs. I make bath bombs with an oil (such as olive oil, FCO, cherry kernel oil, sweet almond oil, sunflower oil or turkey red oil) and a butter (such as mango, kokum, cocoa, or shea) and I always use witch hazel. FCO makes wonderful bath bombs so you can use a coconut oil in your mixture as well.

Humidity can definately cause issues when making bath bombs. So this could be your problem or perhaps your measurement of you oils was off and you got the mixture too wet? You only want you mixture to be wet enough to hold it together until it dries. Also, you might be inadvertently activating the citric acid and baking soda a bit when you let the mixture get too wet.

Back