Bath Bombs.. advice please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearbhla5

Reaction score
So I want to start making bath bombs (eventually to sell)

From alot of research I have decided that I will try these ingredients -
Bicarb
Citric acid
Epsom salts
Kaoilin clay
SLSA
Cocoa butter
Witch hazel
Dye (bath-bomb specific colorants)
Fragrance oil

I am wondering does anyone else use these exact ingredients and could help me with amounts?
Also if you don't use some of these or think I should start off with different ingredients can you please give me some advice? (e.g. I am a little undecided on the SLSA)

Another question is - because I have cocoa butter, do I need essential oils?

Basically I just need some advice on these ingredients and if it seems like a good recipe or not. Thanks in advance!

What you have there is a list of ingredients, not a recipe, so it's impossible to comment on your "recipe".

As for quantities, it's usually 2:1 Baking soda: Citric Acid. A lot of people advocate against epsom salt as it can attract moisture. The recipe I use doesn't use Witch Hazel for binding, just water. Cocoa butter adds oils to the water; it isn't in there for fragrance; I'd still be adding fragrance. If you're using micas for colour, you'll also want to add Polysorbate 80.

Sorry - ingredients - i mean then

Thank you for your help. I have just realised how expensive cocoa butter is to buy and think I might go with something in its place. I was thinking grape seed oil or sweet almond oil. What carrier oil would you recommend?

If you use oil/butter, you probably want to use some Polysorbate 80, otherwise the oil will just float on the water and will make the tub very slippery.
I tend to forgo the oil/butter and keep it simple. I haven't had problem with epsom salts, and found that it really helps with the consistency, but it also may depend on the humidity of the environment.
Lake dyes are nice for coloring, at least if you also want to color your bath water.

Latest posts

Back