Bath Bomb Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I've now made a few batches of bath bombs and they fizz nicely, smell great and don't leave the skin feeling oily. But now I'd like to make some tweaks to accomplish foaming and floating. I found this website (http://howtobathbombs.com/wp/2018/08/22/make-a-bath-bomb-float-like-lush/) that claims to have hacked the floating aspect of the LUSH bath bomb, but I have some questions I'm hoping you clever and experienced folks can help with!

The recipe in the link uses water and no oils as the wet ingredients. Do you think this is because of weight? Water evaporates and leaves a lighter bath bomb, therefore making it easier to float? Or do you think this is just preference for the author? The idea of adding only water to the dry mix makes me think it would get activated very easily prematurely...

The recipe also calls for SLSA and Coco Betaine. Both are expensive and take forever to ship on Amazon Canada, but luckily my local shop sells the CB...they also sell SLSE (liquid form) and I'm wondering if doing a straight substitution would work. Or do you think this would increase the weight, not foam as well, need to be added in a special way, etc?

Also a bit odd to me that the recipe in the link doesn't use epsom salt...again maybe a weight thing? Or just personal preference.

I'm going to do a few batches and play around, but any input from you guys would help for starting points!

For what it's worth my current recipe (makes 4 large rounds) is:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup epsom salts
1/2 cornstarch
mica pigment for colouring
2-1/2 tbsp coconut oil
about 15 drops of fragrance oil
3/5 tbsp water
1/2 tsp PS-80

Back