Bath bomb problems!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadenini

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im new to this forum and trying this out because I really need you advice! Ive started in the bath bomb making and it just never works!! I live in a dry area, and I want to make them without oil because they seem to never dry with the oil and it leaves a ring in the tub thats not fun..ive tried witch hazel instead or water..I use, cornstarch or clay (the clay seems to make the less dry) I use baking soda citric acid, my fragrance oils witch hazel..just received 99.9% alcohol but I have a feeling it will only make it more dry..any advice..the are very dry and crack a little..

If you post your entire recipe and process, it will be much easier for us to help you troubleshoot.

FWIW, I usually use the recipe and process from Dean Wilson. You can find it on his YT channel, and also on Emilie Loeffler's YT channel. Works perfectly every time.

I usually use the recipe and process from Dean Wilson.
I started my bath bomb journey with Dean Wilson as well. I've not failed yet with that recipe after 4 different batches. My house is very humid and I noticed that the bombs were very solid when I first pressed them and then after sitting I think they absorbed some moisture and became soft and crumbly then hardened again. So basically I found I needed to let them "cure" for about 2- 3 days. The last batch sat for a week (I forgot about them) and my 14 year old son who loves them said they were the best and lasted the longest! I haven't notice my tub being any dirtier than usual either.

Once mine are dried and hardened (2-3 days in my dry climate), then I need to wrap them. Otherwise, they can absorb moisture during more humid days, or if get soft and crumbly if they sit in the bathroom for awhile before they are used.

If you post your entire recipe and process, it will be much easier for us to help you troubleshoot.

FWIW, I usually use the recipe and process from Dean Wilson. You can find it on his YT channel, and also on Emilie Loeffler's YT channel. Works perfectly every time.

Thank you!! Yayy Im
Going to get help haha!! Ok so....at first this was my recipe: 1c baking soda, 1/2 c of citric acid, 1/2 c of cornstarch, 3/4 tsp water, 2 tsp fragrance oils and 2 tsp of coconut oil.....that did not work out at all..after 3 days id pick them up and they would just crumble and never dry..could barely manipulate them to take them out of the mold..my texture was wet enough and didnt seem too much..I live in a dry place too..so I played my recipe..decided to completely take out the coconut oil..cornstarch and water..replaced cornstarch by 1tsp of koalin clay..replaced water with alcohol..they dried reel quick but seem way to dry..they came out really powdery..so tonight I replayed it..put back in my coconut oil..but cut down to 1 tsp..replaced the alcohol by witch hazel (seems to dry out less than alcohol) and kept the koalin clay 1tbs..waiting on the results..I hope it works..

Also..what can I use as an emulsifier since im putting the oil back in my recipe..either than slsa and poly 80..I dont want the oil to stick to the tub or skin..and shipping delays are terrible right now..is there anything I could fine in a pharmacie maybe? Thank you for your help!!

That ½ cup of cornstarch in that first recipe was definitely too much, and probably why it was crumbly. Here is a recipe that I've used from Emilie Lefler's YT channel:

~Bath Bomb Basic Recipe~
21.16 oz baking soda
10.58 oz citric acid
3.52 oz epsom salts
0.70 oz white kaolin clay
1.05 oz SLSA
1 tsp mica (optional)
0.17 oz Polysorbate 80
0.35 oz almond, avocado, or olive oil
0.52 oz fragrance oil
0.52 oz rubbing alcohol
more rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle

She recommends mixing all dry ingredients EXCEPT the citric acid. In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and combine well. Add the CA last so it is less likely to activate. Use the RA in the spray bottle to reach the "wet sand" consistency before molding.

Also, note that she uses weights for measuring, not teaspoons or cups. Your recipe will be much more accurate that way.

Sorry that I can't suggest another emulsifier than PS80. Could you get that at a hobby store nearby?

Latest posts

Back