Bath bomb newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cencalgal07

Reaction score
Hello,

I have always wanted to try making bath bombs and recently tried my hand at it. I am using the traditional citric acid, baking soda, Epsom salts etc. when I get to mixing the soap colorant with the coconut oil the color won’t blend into the oil. Is there some trick to making this happen??

What kind of colorant are you using? There are lots of options: micas, various natural options (plant powders, clays, etc), as well as FD&C lakes & dyes. Each of those is available as a powder / dry product. But you can also get glycerin-dispersed colorants, pre-dispersed lakes or dyes, some alcohol-based colors I think (I've heard of alcohol inks in the context of resin craft at least, so I assume you can get alcohol-dispersed colorants safe for soap usage).

If you picked up a liquid colorant and the base is water or something, it might not blend into your oils properly. You might need to mix it with the baking soda first and let that dry out overnight before making bath bombs (this technique is called, according to a brief video I watched, "blooming" the dye and it specifically referenced water dispersible FD&C dyes).

What kind of colorant are you using? There are lots of options: micas, various natural options (plant powders, clays, etc), as well as FD&C lakes & dyes. Each of those is available as a powder / dry product. But you can also get glycerin-dispersed colorants, pre-dispersed lakes or dyes, some alcohol-based colors I think (I've heard of alcohol inks in the context of resin craft at least, so I assume you can get alcohol-dispersed colorants safe for soap usage).

If you picked up a liquid colorant and the base is water or something, it might not blend into your oils properly. You might need to mix it with the baking soda first and let that dry out overnight before making bath bombs (this technique is called, according to a brief video I watched, "blooming" the dye and it specifically referenced water dispersible FD&C dyes).
This is good information. I’m such a newbie. I’m using a liquid dye that came in a bath bomb set along with the liquid color dyes. Not entirely sure what I’m doing. Just fumbling through. But I will have to try seeing if the color will mix with just the baking soda. It was beading up on me. No matter if I mixed it with a whisk or by hand.
Thank you for the pointer!

Back