Bath Bomb Mica help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaacdiaz2

Reaction score
I am currently trying to make bath bombs with mica, which i understand is a challenge, but I just love that silky/shimmery look just like @wwfco on instagram.
My current recipe is
1cup sodium bicarb
1/2cup citric acid
2 teaspoons of mica
2 teaspoons of polysorbate 80
1 teaspoon fragrance oil
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil

My problems are:
1. Mica sinks too quickly and left with not as colored water after 5-10 minutes.
2. The mica colors the walls of my bathtub too much where i have to scrub it with cleaner every single time.

If there is a way to get that silky texture in the water besides mica, please let me know. I have attached pictures from @wwfco to show you how i want my bath bombs to look exactly like.
5C28C95E-B7FF-42EE-BA80-C07B31EC10AE.jpeg

Attachments

• 83BAA8B7-AAF9-432E-B5DA-BD339CD5C34D.jpeg
    83BAA8B7-AAF9-432E-B5DA-BD339CD5C34D.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
The first thing I notice is that you are using double the amount of mica that I would use. I also add Epsom salts, plus kaolin clay or corn starch to harden them.

Do you have a small kitchen scale that would allow you to measure by weight, rather than volume? Your results will be a lot more consistent and accurate that way.

Also, how are you adding the mica? I prefer to pre-mix all my dry ingredients except the citric acid and mica. Mix all the liquid ingredients together in a separate container before adding them to the dry ingredient mix and combining very well. THEN add the citric acid; this will keep the CA from being activated by the liquid ingredients. Finally, add the mica, mix well, and spray with RA to obtain the desired consistency before molding.

ETA: I should have asked what brand of micas you are using, and whether they are specifically marked as safe for bath bombs. Some cheap micas from craft stores or Amazon don't behave well, aren't for use in bath bombs, and aren't pure mica, either.

plus kaolin clay or corn starch to harden them.
Could I use pink clay instead of kaolin and do away with mica and polysorbate 80 all together? I'm making my daughter some stocking stuffers and want to use what I have on hand. Just curious...never made bath bombs before!

This is the recipe I'm going to try:
== Dry Mix ==

600 grams ( 21.16 oz ) - Baking Soda
300 grams ( 10.58 oz ) - Citric Acid
100 grams ( 3.52 oz ) - Epsom Salts
20 grams ( 0.70 oz ) - Kaolin Clay
30 grams ( 1.05 oz ) - SLSA
1 tsp of Mica Powder (dye)

== Wet Mix ==

5 grams ( 0.17oz) - Polysorbate80
10 grams ( 0.35 oz ) - Sweet Almond Oil
15 grams ( 0.52 oz ) - Fragrance Oil
15 grams ( 0.52 oz ) - Rubbing Alcohol

@violets2217, yes, you can pretty much use any clay (bentonite and fuller's earth might be exceptions). You can also use cornstarch as a hardener instead of the clay. If you are eliminating the mica, then you don't need the P80 for purposes of keeping the mica from staining your tub. But I have never used SLSA in bath bombs, so I can't say if P80 is needed for that. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Last edited:
@violets2217, yes, you can pretty much use any clay (bentonite and fuller's earth might be exceptions). You can also use cornstarch as a hardener instead of the clay. If you are eliminating the mica, then you don't need the P80 for purposes of keeping the mica from staining your but. But I have never used SLSA in bath bombs, so I can't say if P80 is needed for that. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.
The YouTube video I watched said the SLSA helps the bath bomb fizz more and last longer. I guess it wouldn't really be necessary either and it's really the last thing I don't have. So I could omit it as well and try them out!

THANKS! I'm the one that cleans the tub anyways... wanted to by pass that staining!!!!

Why not bentonite clay?
@violets2217, yes, you can pretty much use any clay (bentonite and fuller's earth might be exceptions). You can also use cornstarch as a hardener instead of the clay. If you are eliminating the mica, then you don't need the P80 for purposes of keeping the mica from staining your tub. But I have never used SLSA in bath bombs, so I can't say if P80 is needed for that. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Bentonite behaves differently than a lot of other clays. It is extremely absorbent and is also reactive to metals.

I'm not saying it can't be used in bath bombs, but since I personally haven't tried it, I didn't want to recommend a 1:1 substitution for the kaolin clay that is in most bath bomb recipes. :)

Bentonite behaves differently than a lot of other clays. It is extremely absorbent and is also reactive to metals.

I'm not saying it can't be used in bath bombs, but since I personally haven't tried it, I didn't want to recommend a 1:1 substitution for the kaolin clay that is in most bath bomb recipes. :)
Thank you for the explanation. I have a LOT of bentonite and have used it in bathbombs but didn't like the grey clay bits that were left behind.

Have fun, and show some pics of your creations!
This was so much fun! Not too stressful and the press was easy to use! I think this batch may be a bit too wet... The pink clay ones are bubbling or pimpling... But they are so pretty! We’ll see how they look in a couple days! I’m done with my Christmas experiments!!!
2E3C00A0-6CFA-4994-B97D-9EA9761F2865.jpeg

This was so much fun! Not too stressful and the press was easy to use! I think this batch may be a bit too wet... The pink clay ones are bubbling or pimpling... But they are so pretty! We’ll see how they look in a couple days! I’m done with my Christmas experiments!!! View attachment 52217
Beautiful! What do they smell like? They remind me of shower steamers.

Latest posts

Back