Bath Bomb ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noni2009

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I haven't made bath bombs in a while because they kept on crumbling! If someone could please help me formulate a recipe out of the following ingredients I would really appreciate it! TY! And if you see anything missing that I should add, please let me know.

Baking Soda
Citric Acid
Shea Butter
Kaolin Clay

I usually also add epsom salt and just enough witch hazel to pull everything together. Should be a bit like wet sand. I use the witch hazel in a spray bottle and just spritz enough to pull it together. I've never tried this, but I've seen some people also spritz the finished bomb with isopropyl alcohol to harden.

There are several recipes that have been shared on the forum. You’ve got ingredients for a basic bath bomb. If they are crumbling they are not moist enough. I use alcohol if I need to get it a bit wetter if needed. I use cocoa butter or Shea. They are certainly finicky and takes some playing with to get them right. Baking soda:citric acid is 2:1. So 1 c Baking Soda to 1/2 cup Citric Acid. I’d add 1-2 tsp of clay. I do mine by weight.

Thank you Kcryss and Shunt2011!
I will try again and it it's successful I will update!

Cream of tartar can be used in small amounts to help harden bath bombs as well. Also your shea butter could be hardening back up before you get your bombs formed. I like to split my oil weight up in 3 parts: 1 part shea butter, 1 part coconut oil, and one part sweet almond oil. This oil blend stays softer for a longer working time. Any additional moisture needed can be added with witch hazel or alcohol. I've used both and they work just fine.

If you are having trouble with bath bombs, might I suggest trying bath truffles instead. They are more marketable IMO and so much less finicky. Brambleberry has several starting recipes (although I would suggest tweaking as from my experience, they can be greatly improved)

Back