Bath bomb enthusiast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Sparklepants

Reaction score
taking a nice warm bath is something that I absolutely relish in, on a hot or a cold day, I love a good soak. I was a hairstylist for 10+ years but had to give it up to to repetitive injuries to my hips and lower back. I found that the comfort of a bath with a delicious bath bomb was so soothing for my pain that I decided I had to start making them. I’ve researched dozens of different recipes, watched countless how to videos on YouTube and even found a soap making wholesaler to buy my ingredients from. I have had success so far, hit a few road blocks adjusted my recipe but I still feel like my bomb is falling a little short. I like a ton of scent and I prefer a little bit of an oilier experience in the tub. Also my bombs are not super hard, I handle them with care but I’d like them to be a little firmer. I would appreciate any feedback and advise. My recipe has been....

1 c - sodium bicarbonate
1/2 c - citric acid
1/2 c - dendritic salt
2 tbsp - kaolin clay
1/2 tsp mica powder
(Sifted and mixed well)
3 tbsp coconut oil (or sweet almond oil or a blend of the two)
1.5 tbsp polysorbate 80
1/4 tsp essential oil or fragrance oil
And a few spritz’s of witch hazel/alcohol mix to achieve damp sand texture.

Thanks for listening.

Hello and welcome! If you want some extra oils in the tub, remove the PS 80. Also, dendritic salt may be part of the problem too. I sometimes add some Epsom salts but not often. You may not be adding enough oil to your mix. I use cocoa butter or coconut oil. My bombs can be dropped and not break.

Hello and welcome! If you want some extra oils in the tub, remove the PS 80. Also, dendritic salt may be part of the problem too. I sometimes add some Epsom salts but not often. You may not be adding enough oil to your mix. I use cocoa butter or coconut oil. My bombs can be dropped and not break.
My worry with not using the PS80 is that the mica will sit on top of the water, I also noticed that it gives a good frothing effect. I will definitely try a batch without the salt. I’m grateful for your advise thank you!

Mica may float without the PS80, If you're making them for yourself just leave the mica out. Water soluble colorants on the market with suppliers like WSP, NG.

Latest posts

Back