Bath bomb colour dispersment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinkerbates

Reaction score
Hi!

First post here, I have been dabbling with bath bombs for a few weeks now and I’m having some problems with how the colour disperses in the bath.

I want fizzy, spinny, floating bombs with coloured foam. I’ve got the fizz and the spin but the colour is driving me mad!

When the bomb activates in the water there is a big pop of colour but it’s just like a little volcanic lump, it then produces a mostly white foam but with little specks of colour (almost like grains of colour?!) before doing another big burst at the end and leaving another ‘lump’ of colour.

This is my recipe:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp SLSA (I have also tried with a bit more but no difference)
1 tbsp almond oil
1/2 tbsp poly 80
1 tsp fragrance oil
Wondercolour (in varying amounts)
Witch hazel to dampen if needed

Hello and welcome. Be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m not sure what wonder colors are. I use lakes dye in my bombs and have had good results. I’ve also used micas in some. I don’t make a lot of bombs though.

Hello and welcome. Be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m not sure what wonder colors are. I use lakes dye in my bombs and have had good results. I’ve also used micas in some. I don’t make a lot of bombs though.
Do you do embeds too? I’m getting a great colour in the water but not in the foam

Not sure what wonder color is either, if it is similar to a mica, it will not color the bath water, the way bath bomb approved dyes and lake colors will.

Not sure what wonder color is either, if it is similar to a mica, it will not color the bath water, the way bath bomb approved dyes and lake colors will.

I am UK based so maybe we only have them here, I believe they are similar to a mica. I am getting colour in my water though, just not in the foam.

all the dyes and lakes I see don’t have much selection of colours, do you just mix them to get the colour you want?

I am UK based so maybe we only have them here, I believe they are similar to a mica. I am getting colour in my water though, just not in the foam.

all the dyes and lakes I see don’t have much selection of colours, do you just mix them to get the colour you want?
Yes, they do lack selection on those. I usually mix the blue and pink for purple, and blue and green for teal, though the green is usually teal looking anyway.

Back