Bath Bomb Adventure Begins!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I might’ve jumped the gun. But, I just bought a manual press and some super groovy molds to make bath bombs. I’ve watched a ton of videos, and I think I’m ready.
I have a few things I’d like to learn to make next, but I decided to listen to the customers. Every time I sell soaps at the farmers market I get asked a few times if I sell bath bombs. So, here I go!

Can anyone recommend a good one stop shop to get bulk supplies? Mostly baking soda, citric acid, and either SCI or SLSA?

Also, do you prefer using dyes (water soluble, or lake dyes (oil soluble)? (I think I have that right, but I’m not exactly sure.)

Also, have you used clay as a colorant, and how did it affect your bombs?

Thanks super bunches!

Attachments

• 58E431A4-A6D7-4FAA-9099-BBCDBF56DEAC.jpeg
    58E431A4-A6D7-4FAA-9099-BBCDBF56DEAC.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Well, I might’ve jumped the gun. But, I just bought a manual press and some super groovy molds to make bath bombs. I’ve watched a ton of videos, and I think I’m ready.
I have a few things I’d like to learn to make next, but I decided to listen to the customers. Every time I sell soaps at the farmers market I get asked a few times if I sell bath bombs. So, here I go!

Can anyone recommend a good one stop shop to get bulk supplies? Mostly baking soda, citric acid, and either SCI or SLSA?

Also, do you prefer using dyes (water soluble, or lake dyes (oil soluble)? (I think I have that right, but I’m not exactly sure.)

Thanks super bunches!
Thats so awesome' congrats on your new Toy' I can just image how pretty there gonna be. Hope it brings you lots of new buying customers.

My best advice on making bath bombs came from YT videos by Emily Lefler, who copied Dean Wilson (also on YT). They both recommend mixing together all other ingredients before adding the citric acid. That way, the citric is less likely to activate (spontaneously start fizzing, which = ruined bath bombs).

I buy the big bags of baking soda from Costco, and the citric acid and SLSA from either SaveOnCitric (MakeYourOwn.buzz) or WSP.

Lots of folks use kaolin clay as a hardening agent; I've often used the pink kaolin, French green, and Australian clays that also colored the bombs. Bentonite clay is so super absorbent, I'd be worried it would draw too much moisture from the air (causing the bath bombs to activate). So that's one clay I haven't tried in bath bombs. Someone else might have actual experience with bentonite that says otherwise, in which case, listen to that person. :)

FWIW, I greatly prefer using mooncake presses for my bath bombs, rather than the traditional spherical molds. They are so inexpensive and usually come with 4-6 different designs for the top. Plus, the presses are so much easier on my hands than the spheres.

My best advice on making bath bombs came from YT videos by Emily Lefler, who copied Dean Wilson (also on YT). They both recommend mixing together all other ingredients before adding the citric acid. That way, the citric is less likely to activate (spontaneously start fizzing, which = ruined bath bombs).

I buy the big bags of baking soda from Costco, and the citric acid and SLSA from either SaveOnCitric (MakeYourOwn.buzz) or WSP.

Lots of folks use kaolin clay as a hardening agent; I've often used the pink kaolin, French green, and Australian clays that also colored the bombs. Bentonite clay is so super absorbent, I'd be worried it would draw too much moisture from the air (causing the bath bombs to activate). So that's one clay I haven't tried in bath bombs. Someone else might have actual experience with bentonite that says otherwise, in which case, listen to that person. :)

FWIW, I greatly prefer using mooncake presses for my bath bombs, rather than the traditional spherical molds. They are so inexpensive and usually come with 4-6 different designs for the top. Plus, the presses are so much easier on my hands than the spheres.

Thanks for such great advice! The molds I bought are all flat. I think the balls would be a nightmare for me to package.

If you ended up buying a recipe, I ran across a Facebook group... Bath Fizz and Foam (Bath Bomb & Bubble Bar Support) which led me to their website. I ended up buying a few of their recipes in a bundle. I got it for a bubble bar and shower steamers recipe. I just realized that the bundle includes a high humid weather bath bomb recipe. That might come in handy... but the group is quite helpful.

If you ended up buying a recipe, I ran across a Facebook group... Bath Fizz and Foam (Bath Bomb & Bubble Bar Support) which led me to their website. I ended up buying a few of their recipes in a bundle. I got it for a bubble bar and shower steamers recipe. I just realized that the bundle includes a high humid weather bath bomb recipe. That might come in handy... but the group is quite helpful.
Great! Thank you.

So, I’m not even home from my trip yet. Tools and ingredient packages are being delivered to my house for making bath bombs. I’m watching lots of YouTube videos while visiting my family. And, I’m starting to freak out. There are SO many recipes and opinions on what‘s best. I can’t decide where to start. There is a free recipe I was going to use from the DIY Bath and Body facebook page, and subsequent etsy store where I’ve bought other recipes.

@violets2217 have you made the bath bombs in that bundle? I like the group, thanks for the link.

This describes the difference between SLS and SLSa. The DIYBB free recipe uses some of either SLSa or SCI.
Anyone here added these to your bath bombs? That recipe calls for 1-2%

This seems like a decent basic recipe. Basic Bath Bomb Recipe

And this is a high humidity recipe. It’s high humidity where I live. Making Bath Bombs in High Humidity

@violets2217 have you made the bath bombs in that bundle? I like the group, thanks for the link.
I've not made anything yet, I wanna try the the bubble bar (solid bubble bath), shower steamers and I'm about to try my recipe with the SLSa in a bit.. because when I popped mine in the sink filled with water...they just plopped to the bottom and fizzzed out in less than a minute. Just like you said they would. LOL!! Enjoy your family visit... Did you say your in my neck of woods? Florida?

I made a batch a few days ago that I really like. I use Epsom salts-- it isn't terribly humid where I live. My bombs are rock hard and they take some time to dissolve. I add 70% alcohol in a spray bottle that I use to wet the ingredients to help bind everything, as well as some cocoa butter.

My recipe is 1 cup of citric acid, 2 cups of baking soda, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, 1/2 cup Epsom salts, 3 tablespoons of oil, fragrance oil (one full pipette-ish), 3 tablespoons oil (I used SAO) and cocoa butter (my recipe calls for 1/3 cup but 1/4 was sufficient).

It took some time to dissolve in water.

I've not made anything yet, I wanna try the the bubble bar (solid bubble bath), shower steamers and I'm about to try my recipe with the SLSa in a bit.. because when I popped mine in the sink filled with water...they just plopped to the bottom and fizzzed out in less than a minute. Just like you said they would. LOL!! Enjoy your family visit... Did you say your in my neck of woods? Florida?
I am in FL. Usually I visit 3 times a year, but I haven’t been here since Jan 2020. Near Tampa and Brandon.

I think I’ll feel less anxious as I get home and play with my ingredients. I’ve just got to start with small batches and test them out to see what I like, just like everything else. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all last night.

Thanks super bunches!
I like makeyourownbuzz.com. Also Natures Garden sells the same products. As far as baking soda I generally get the large bag at Costco. Good luck!!🍀🍀🍀

I am in FL. Usually I visit 3 times a year, but I haven’t been here since Jan 2020. Near Tampa and Brandon.

I think I’ll feel less anxious as I get home and play with my ingredients. I’ve just got to start with small batches and test them out to see what I like, just like everything else. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all last night.
I always tell my self to start with small batches when I try something new! Then I end up with hundreds of samples!! You’ll have fun! The greatest tip I’ve found with bath bombs or anything fizzy is the adding your citric acid absolutely last and mix well at each stage. That’s why I dug out my old smaller Kitchen Aide mixer and turn it on and walk away for a bit.

I always tell my self to start with small batches when I try something new! Then I end up with hundreds of samples!! You’ll have fun! The greatest tip I’ve found with bath bombs or anything fizzy is the adding your citric acid absolutely last and mix well at each stage. That’s why I dug out my old smaller Kitchen Aide mixer and turn it on and walk away for a bit.
I’m ALL about power tools whenever possible! I’ve got a scrapper arm and the bowl cover with the chute for my kitchen aid mixer in my shopping cart right now. I think both will be really helpful!

Will definitely check Costco for baking soda. I think I can even Instacart from there!

Check ChemistryConnection.com. They operate both SaveOnCitric and MakeYourOwn.buzz; and the link has tabs to take you to both sites. Both sites sell citric acid in bulk. It is always worth checking price + shipping on both sites since one is usually a little less than the other, depending on how much you buy and where you are located.

I get my baking soda from Costco as well and the citric acid from WSP. I just put another order in yesterday for a 5lb bag. I actually make what I call fizzy bath truffles. They are like bath bombs but have a higher oil content. I'm in Texas where it's very humid most of the year and I just couldn't get a traditional bath bomb to hold together. I'm sure it's possible but I was just too afraid they would fall apart so I switched direction. I use an ice cream scoop and it's really fun to make. FYI, you may already know this but if you use micas for coloring, check to see that they are BB safe (many blues and greens are not).

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 17
Back