Batch variation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drchurchillsoaps

Reaction score
I ordered some red palm oil, I received two packages that both contain the “same” thing.
however one product seems to have more oil and one seems to have more fat. At room temp on 3kg bag is almost full liquid and the other 2kg bag is more like coconut oil consistency @ 72 degrees F. Would you combine the two and mix well before use? Or just use them separately.

Huh, that's strange. Let's hope the packagers didn't mess up with the notorious separation issues of palm oil. Do they have the same lot number/expiration date? It might or might not be just a storage issue (one bag at higher temps than the other during storage/transport).

If you can, give it a try to store both packages at about 5–10°C for at least two days. They should solidify to a waxy mass. Back again at room temperature, they should now behave similarly. If they do, you're probably fine to use one first and then the other. If not, then the suppliers had some unplanned fractionation (more olein in one package, more stearin in the other) – then mixing the two bags is a good idea. You have to melt up the whole package and distribute it over smaller vessels anyway.

Which usage rates are you aiming for? I'm asking because the fractions contribute hardness to the soap at a different intensity (compare the hardness numbers of palm stearin/palmolein) – but if you use it a low enough rates so that the soap is not too terribly staining, you're fine anyway and don't need to worry too much.

Some of our fats come from producers and places that don't have the same standards of uniformity that we've come to expect. I've seen the issue you've described on shelves at an ethnic market. Searching Google images yields the same:
kx2C36teQoeRlJhJnUB7

It might ideed be the case that there is some fractionation prior to the bottling, but just as well would different storage conditions appear to alter the degree of separation. By the naked eye, one just cannot say without a full-blown FA analysis (iodine value determination, gas chromatography, or at least a full DSC curve of a full melt/freeze cycle).

It might ideed be the case that there is some fractionation prior to the bottling, but just as well would different storage conditions appear to alter the degree of separation. By the naked eye, one just cannot say without a full-blown FA analysis (iodine value determination, gas chromatography, or at least a full DSC curve of a full melt/freeze cycle).
Now thats precise description on how to arrive @ the root cause. Höö Höö said the wise owl 🦉🤗

Back