Batch resize help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debohr

Reaction score
Are you able to help?
How do i work out how to resize a small recipe, approx 1.630kg to say a 10kg batch recipe?

enter your recipe into a soap calculator
change to percentages
change the total weight in the calculator

or multiply every ingredient by 6.135
(10kg divided by 1.630kg is 6.135)

if you are pouring into a single mold
consider how you are going to control the heat
starting cooler, reducing insulation and increasing lye concentration are some modifications worth considering

edited to add:
10kg is a lot of soap
it is hard to lift a single pot of 10kg of soap batter
6kg is easier to manage

Last edited:
What @Marsi said. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I'll say it again though, 10kg is a LOT of soap.

Do you have a mould which will hold that much?
Are you sure your mixing vessel will hold that much and still have plenty of mixing space so you don't splash caustic soap batter on yourself?
Will your stick blender reach the bottom without drowning itself? 🌊
Can you physically lift that much, and hold it for a while in a controlled way to pour it into the mould? 💪🏋️💪

Can I ask why you want to make such a big batch? I can only assume you're selling, in which case can I ask how long you've been making soap?

Why not try simply doubling the recipe first, making sure you're happy with ~2kg, then trying 4Kg, 6Kg etc. You can use boxes, tubs etc lined with freezer or baking paper to improvise a mould if you don't have one in the right size, or divide it into multiple moulds.

Indeed! You're going from roughly 3-1/2 lbs to 22lbs... that's quite the jump. If you have to ask how to resize the batch, I question if you have enough experience to deal with that large of a batch. I don't mean to be a party pooper, just putting a thought of caution to you.

That said, I would follow @Marsi advice to use the lye calculator to resize the recipe. I would not attempt this simply by multiplying the ingredient list. I have found differences between hand calculations and the lye calculator when scaling up recipes from small 500g batch to 4000g batches, so I imagine those differences would be even greater going from 1600g to 10kg.

Latest posts

Back