Batch of soap that riced

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giulia

Reaction score
Just wanted to share...I made a batch of soap last week and the FO caused some ricing. The soap is not very pretty but it is soap and it smells good. I have one weird spot (second picture) on one (maybe from the FO) and the soap is speckled, I’m guessing due to the ricing.
51946F08-303D-4630-B8D0-75F0E718DD20.jpeg
2D956642-B0E5-4D02-B1B2-7C8C1028E77E.jpeg
52006574-7E8C-48B7-89E2-7B68C7095B79.jpeg
9F9DCDF6-F77D-4F25-93EF-2AFBAE0F4EF1.jpeg

Thank you @AliOop. They are growing on me.

@Obsidian Thanks. You are right they do kind of look like rain drops. I used the FO Beach from WSP. The description on WSP said no ricing or acceleration but a lot of the reviews said that the FO riced, so I knew there was a good chance that was going to happen but I love the fragrance and had to try.:)

Thank you @AliOop. They are growing on me.

@Obsidian Thanks. You are right they do kind of look like rain drops. I used the FO Beach from WSP. The description on WSP said no ricing or acceleration but a lot of the reviews said that the FO riced, so I knew there was a good chance that was going to happen but I love the fragrance and had to try.:)
I've noticed that a lot of vendors will say their fragrances behaved well, but the reviews say otherwise. I always believe the customer reviews before I believe the vendor.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a fragrance will rice or accelerate only with certain kinds of oils, so it depends on your recipe. The vendor only tests with one recipe, and it's not always similar to the one you'll be using.

@Quanta I will keep that in mind with FO! Thank you for the reminder about the recipes.

@Catscankim I may use the rest of the FO in lotion or scrubs. It’s too bad though because it smells great in the soap.

Beach is a favorite and it is difficult to soap. I soap at about 90 degrees with a recipe that is 60% hard oils; After I weigh my FO I add about 3-4 tablespoons of my base oils to the FO container; thinning it out a little.

I do a single in the pot swirl of white with TD in a blue soap. I set up the swirl color and color the base before adding any FO. I stick blend the swirl color so it is ready to go. The base I leave at a bare trace and whisk the fragrance into the pot while pouring it in the pot in a thin stream. That usually works. If I still see ricing then I stick blend. The soap may look really thick but it works. I dump the swirl color on top and one stir with a spatula and pour. I may have to pound the log to prevent bubbles but it works. I rename it Endless Summer. Endless Summer.JPG

@lucycat I soaped at about 95 and I brought it to a light trace, then separated out my accent color (used TD). I added my mica to the base and used a spatula to mix in the color. I added the Beach FO at the last second and had to stick blend. Then i poured my accent color for the swirl. My recipe was 30% Olive Oil, 30% Cocunut Oil, 24% Almond Oil, 12% Shea and 3% Castor Oil.

Does the higher percent of hard oils help?

I will have to try the whisk next time and thinning it out with some of the oils.

Thank you so much for the advice with this FO. It is one of my favorites and I would love to continue using it.

Probably my high percent of hard oils may make it harder. You are closer than you realize to getting it to work.

I think that pouring the FO into the pot in a very small stream while whisking helps the most. The larger the whisk the better; a large whisk helps incorporate it faster and there is less time the fragrance is siting not incorporated.

I add base oils to the FO container any time I think there will be a problem. I don't know if it helps but I have always thought trying to get the temps of the FO container the same as the base oils would be one less potential issue.

If I have ricing it isn't a lot. If I decide to stick blend the base to smooth out the ricing it gets super thick but I have enough time to pour before it hardens. Keeping the base at a very thin trace lets me have a backup plan in case I need to stick blend. I end up stick blending about half the time. So, my method still isn't full proof.

I think the scent reminds me of the old Coppertone fragrance from the 60's-70's. I sometimes think this FO is harder to work with than the version a few years ago. I suspect I wouldn't have kept trying if it was as difficult to soap as it is today. Now, I just want to continue using it.

Back