Batch number 4!! (with my 1lb TOG mini mold!! :D)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
Alright everyone, got a new batch cookin' up tonight!! Its much like batch no 3 only i didnt add brown sugar, this time I added some fresh aloe vera gel to it as well as some Orange Sweet and Mandarin Red EO's to scent it... hopefully my swirl works out better, I poured it at a lighter trace this time but I think I took too much soap out to swirl with again, got to get used to the mold...next time Ill take out half or 3/4 as much and see how it works out !! :)

(click it to see it bigger, imageshack is being annoying and wont put the big one up in the post for me for some reason...trust me...much better pic when you click it !! :D)

Taking influence from those orange shaped/flavored chocolates I ate and loved when I was a kid :)

Looks great, Ian. 8) Cut those bars tomorrow and lets see those swirls! :wink:

Paul :wink:

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club

mmmm. Great minds must think alike... I have a chocolate covered orange soap and everyone LOVES them... (to smell and look at only, they're only a week old and I didn't take a water discount so they'll be curing for a while) I didn't do swirls for it though, it's just orange layer (tumeric and paprika powder) and chocolate layer on top and the best is that they are made with Eo's and cocoa powder so they're all natural. Can't wait for it to be done curing..

Right now I'm working on a Mojito soap, it's spearmint and natural pepermint(not redistilled) with pressed lime eo.. Here is the *plan* for what it will look like...It's a thin layer of green (colored with parsley powder and a tiny bit of chromiumoxide) and then the rest is like a light greenish beige color and in that beige there are flecks of mint leaves just like in a real mojito... Course I don't drink, but I always thought they looked good. And I have a friend who is crazy about them so I'm making the soap as a gift and I'm going to make extra to see if they'll sell.

Hi ian~ that looks great!..keep them pics coming....it's inspiring~

i am going to NY in July so am thinking i will make my first batch after that.....can't waaaaaaaaait!

mmmm Ive got to pick some up!! Alright I cut them today, will post pics soon when I rest up from work a bit...they look mostly the same, in fact I think I like the first batch better visual-wise... I dont know why my swirling isnt working out the way I want it to....maybe got to pour at an even looser trace with less colored soap, or try the technique that someone mentioned the other day (forgot who!??) with swirling in layers, going to keep trying till i get it right!! :)

Ill post pics later on tonight :D!!

IanT said:
mmmm Ive got to pick some up!! Alright I cut them today, will post pics soon when I rest up from work a bit...they look mostly the same, in fact I think I like the first batch better visual-wise... I dont know why my swirling isnt working out the way I want it to....maybe got to pour at an even looser trace with less colored soap, or try the technique that someone mentioned the other day (forgot who!??) with swirling in layers, going to keep trying till i get it right!! :)

Ill post pics later on tonight :D!!

hey Ian~ dont' wear yourself out...have to take care of yourself...:)

how does one swirl anyways,?? what do you use...i was thinking a chop stick..? hehee as you can see i have no clue... :p

:D yes meditation time, been playing the didgeridoo after work continuously (with circular breathing) for about 30-45 minutes after work each day, kelps calm my mind from sitting in front of the computer screens ALL DAY LONG!...cant wait for a better job to come along, but thankful to even have a job nonetheless :)

Peace love and guidance!

and no worries for the link ! My pleasure!

alright heres the cut pics!! As you can see there is not much different from the first batch (which you may be able to see in the background...).

Any ideas on what I could do to improve the swirl and make it all the way through the soap?? lighter trace and less dyed soap as i suspected??

Thanks!!

imga1073jr0.jpg

imga1072fx0.jpg

ok having absolutely no idea how these things are done....when do you add your swirly bits of soap to the bigger batch..and is it added to the top ...like poured onto the other bigger bit of soap....??

Yup, basically you mix your lye and oils together, then separate some of the solution once its mixed, add some color to it and set aside...then continue mixing the other uncolored portion to light trace, pour and then drizzle in on top like it shows in the tutorial link and then take the chopstick and drag it like they said in the tutorial (its so hard for me to explain this without visuals lol...what can I say Im Italian.. ;) )

like you drag it back and forth at first, then side to side, then diagonally...and it SHOULD swirl lol...except if your me making it lol...ahhh I will work on it though ... :D I never let anything conquer me :)

Ian, I am finding that using less of the colourant mixture the better. But, those look wonderful friend! k

OK Ian, here goes;

First bring your soap to a light trace and remove some and colour. Mix up the colour in a cup really well. Bring the rest of the batter to a medium trace. Pour in about an inch of base soap. pour lightly the coloured soap on top of that base in a side-to-side motion. Next ladle or pour over the back of a large spoon more base soap, you do not want that layer to push through the size to side swirl. Then do a colour pour end-to-end, back and forth. Next pour your final base top layer. You should be able to pour the rest of your coloured batter on top from a higher distance so it sinks in a bit and stays on top partly, and sinks in other places. Next, using a chop stick, or a pencil, swirl lengthwise, then diagonally, then side to side, always dragging your chopstick or pencil on the bottom.

I'm not great at swirling in the log mold, but here are a few I've done in the log mold swirls;

soapequipment002-1.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

HTH's

Paul :wink:

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club

Exactly what Paul said. :) It works great to get those swirls throughout the entire soap, instead of just on top.

IrishLass

yeah i think im going to try that method next time.. I feel like I rush to get it in the mold before it gets hard, because I dont want it to be stuck to the bowl and such lol... I guess I can try and take my time next time and layer it...Ill do it on the next batch!! :)

Thanks for the advice and help and feedback!! :D!!!

I love the lil mold its so cooool :)

I can t wait to get good at swirling :)...only a few more batches and I think Ill have it down :D!! Then Im going to order some clays since theyre inert and the color will stay through to the soap ...cant wait :)!!

Back