Batch notes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you keep detailed notes on each batch you make? I know Soapcalc notes the mix of base oils and oil/water/lye ratios, etc. But do you track details about your soaping temp, colorants (amount, dispersal, etc). I’m generally so focused on getting the batch to bed and cleaning up that I usually throw the Soapcalc page away and just start over again the next time. One of my goals is to begin doing this and organize it in a notebook to improve consistence in my batch outcomes. Is that just my “OCD” kicking in?

I use Soapmaker 3 and enter information into the "Notes" area when I am trying out a new recipe or altering a recipe that has been saved. It comes in very handy and I don't have excess paper to file and store.

I am TRYING to instill in myself this discipline!

Soapmaker 3 is not MAC compatible, and I am a die-hard Apple user!

I am SUPER IMPRESSED with the soapmakersfriend calculator that has been started here - I have not tried to enter notes into a recipe to see how that goes - but you have got me curious!

One thing to add - I am only begining to grasp all of the MANY factors that can affect a soap - so I am not always even sure what to track! It boggles my mind a bit to be honest!

Thanks!

I usually use Soapee and type all my notes in the note section then print to Microsoft One Note and print out a copy to keep with the soap on the drying rack so the printout goes in a file box. :lol: wish I could claim neatly filing but alas I cannot. They are stacked in the file box... For a few years I also used binders but gave up on them because they were just taking up to much room

In One Note I can also add notes if I need to update information

I make notes as to what I want to do in my SM3 "notes" area, and then update it right after I have made the batch - did it accelerate, decelerate, act up in any way I was not expecting, or anything out of the "norm". Then as it's curing, I put in weekly to monthly notes.

My base recipe tends to stay the same, so these notes are specifically about color, scent, and anything weird that may have happened due to mis-measurement, etc.,
But yes, I try to be as detailed as possible, so if a returning customer asks about it, (rare) have a detailed explanation.

I make notes as to what I want to do in my SM3 "notes" area, and then update it right after I have made the batch - did it accelerate, decelerate, act up in any way I was not expecting, or anything out of the "norm". Then as it's curing, I put in weekly to monthly notes.

My base recipe tends to stay the same, so these notes are specifically about color, scent, and anything weird that may have happened due to mis-measurement, etc.,
But yes, I try to be as detailed as possible, so if a returning customer asks about it, (rare) have a detailed explanation.

Wow. I’m envious.

I use the BrambleBerry calculator and will type in my plans for colorants and additives. Right after pouring (batter for the mold, chardonnay for me) I hand write notes like if an essential oil accelerated trace or was an unexpected color, etc. I'll come back to the paper later like if the scent faded fast or "need more mica next time", "no lather" etc. Google calendar tracks my creation, test, and cure dates.

Like shunt I use soapmaker3 but I also have an excel spreadsheet where I write up each recipe with detailed notes and keep them in a folder. I fit 3-4 to a page. Each is numbered and dated. I print both sides of a page so it doesn’t take up much room but it is great to look back and compare tiny tweaks and see the difference.

The great thing about paper is that I can add later comments by people who have tried the soap long after full cure. I also take photo of my soap but keep it in folder on the computer.

I keep my recipes in plastic sleeves so they don’t get covered in stuff while I am making soap - I am a messy soap maker!

I scribble down loose notes while I'm soaping, and then transfer that to an easier-to-read format on the computer - I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of pretty much everything I do. It's helpful because I also do a soaping journal this day, which is more of a diary-style, train-of-thought, "this is how I felt about today's batch" format.

Wow. I’m envious.
It takes ambition and a lot of work. If I'm not at my computer after making the soap, I will write it down and keep it all together until the next time I update. I name all my soaps, so I keep track that way if I have a large soapmaking weekend and make several batches at a time and unable to update right away.

Like shunt I use soapmaker3 but I also have an excel ...

The great thing about paper is that I can add later comments by people who have tried the soap long after full cure. I also take photo of my soap but keep it in folder on the computer.
I also use excel in conjunction with SM3, but not really for notes, it's mainly for inventory tracking even though my SM3 can do all that, there is some functionality that I can't get in SM3 that I can in excel, and vice/verse. (Plus I just love creating formulas, vlookups, and a ton of other functions that excel has.

I can add all my notes and pictures to my SM3 even months later. That's a plus for SM3 for me.

I too use Soapmaker but I'm also a paper keeper and do make notes on my soaps and keep them in a binder.

I do this as well, in addition to adding in notes to the paper copy when I make it and drawing the design. Those notes rarely get transferred to SM3 unless it was an ingredient change. I'm more likely to pull out the paper copy when I do a second batch of something than I am to reprint the SM3 recipe. If I find an FO that does not behave well, I will change the name in SM3 to "DO NOT BUY [FO Name Supplier]" so that next time I order supplies I know that a particular FO did not play well. I have two binders - one for "current" recipes that I'm likely to make again and one for finished custom orders or things that didn't go over well and won't get made again.

Plus I just love creating formulas, vlookups, and a ton of other functions that excel has.
Me too! I'm currently working on an excel file for my bookkeeping. I'd rather give 30 hours of my time to creating a my own system than shelling out cash for a system that doesn't work 100% for what I do.

I have a Journal that I write my recipe down, colours I will use, FO or EO. The process of tracing, how the batter reacted and so on. Then I add more the day I cut weight texture colour, then every week after. I am a newby to soap making so I am writing everything down so I don’t miss anything. I have started an excel spreadsheet for my recipes, FO, EO and colours. It may be a little over the top but I have read on here that so many people advise it and I am really enjoying it. Tomorrow is my first testing day on my first soap week 4, then I will test every week till week 12 and take notes. After that I will start using it :thumbs:

LOL...I picked up a soap today that I made several months ago. Soaps good. Looks good. Smells good. I have NO idea what’s in it. I’m vowing to do a better job of note-taking from keeping the Soapcalc, to taking photos, tracking colors and fragrance starting with the next batch. Hallelujah! I’ve seen the light.

Latest posts

Back