Batch Melting Palm to Avoid Stearic Acid Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
When I buy palm oil in small quantities it's easy to melt and stir the entire batch to make sure that the stearic acid is evenly dispersed and not just settled toward the bottom. Lately I've been buying palm in big 28 lb. buckets, and I'm not sure what the best way to melt the whole batch would be. Does anyone have any hints or tricks in this situation?

I set mine on a couple of heating pads til it was melted, then stirred well and portioned it out into smaller containers. It took all afternoon to melt it, but it was worth the trouble.

Wrap an electric blanket round it? I have a dog house heater / whelping mat that would work, but that doesn't help you :mrgreen: otherwise a tub of hot water, and pour a kettle of boiling water in every now and then?

My palm is a semi solid and separates with oil on top when I leave it to sit.

I buy the 50 lb bucket and I split it into 5 lb containers when I get it. I stir is really really well and spoon it in (not melted). When I go to use it in a batch, I use the 5 lb containers and do the same thing. You don't need to melt the palm 100% before using it in your batch as long as you mix it well and its a representative mix (no oil on top, mixed well with no chunks).

Now, I always melt it 100% after I've weighed it before adding the lye. I do this every time I use palm and have never had an issue with it. I don't get any noticeable "stearic spots" or any other issues.

These are great tips. Thank you all! i think I'll put the bucket in my bathtub and heat it up with the hot water, since I know the bucket won't fit in my sink. Have a happy holiday, all!

Back