Batch #20 and #21 cotten seed test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Inspired by F88 with his single oil hemp seed oil soap I decided to make a few test on some local oils. This is the first of those tests.

Cotton seed oil by its self:
Three ingredients, water, lye and cotton seed oil.

Test batch only 7 oz.
7% oil retention no other additives

The result is very good. The bar is firm not soft and lathers surprisingly well.
the color is off white to dark white because of the gel process, yes it did gel even with only 7 oz.

cotton seed only:

log
20%20log.JPG

cut bars, they arnt very pretty but thats not part of the test.
20%20bars.JPG

Batch #21 is five ingredients including two oils, cotton seed and coconut.
again only 7 oz., 5 oz Cotton seed and 2 oz of Coconut, water and lye, I added alittle tea tree oil (.125 oz.)

log
21%20log.JPG

cut bars, notice the color, its from the colored Amish coconut oil.
21%20bars.JPG

#20 and #21
20%2021%20bars.JPG

The conclusion is that its is possible to make a single oil soap from cotton seed oil
And it seems at least so far to have good conditioning properties. At .85 per pound
It beats lard as a filler oil and it has a pretty good hardness factor.

Thanks for sharing your experiments with us. We can all learn from each other.

By the way I have never seen coconut oil that color before.

Wow Neil, you are so informative. I love the way you experiment with the different oils and such.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Very interesting, Neil. Thanks for sharing. That coconut oil is a new one to me. Nice color.

Great pics, too.

I think Its for pop corn, I've been using it since about batch #4 and with a little Titanium dioxide its makes some interesting pastels of yellow. My local grocery stocks it, small town.

Back