Basti's Adventures in Soap (2023)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basti

Reaction score
New year, new thread ✨
I dropped the CP in the title as I think I'd like to share my soapy creations beyond just my mad science adventures. I do primarily work with MP after all. So, I hope you don't mind seeing some MP as well. Not to worry, I'll try to make it a lovely experience. 😉
Kicking off the thread with the MP soaps I made in the last week or so!

secret garden.png

FO: Butterfly Garden by Nurture Soap

nightwalker.png

FO: Mystical Woods by Wholesale Supplies Plus

river dragon.png

FO: Dragon Moon by Nurture Soap

bisexual.png

FO: Black Raspberry Vanilla by Nurture Soap

queen of the sea.png

FO: Sea Kelp & Agave by Wholesale Supplies Plus + Plumeria by Nurture Soap

Time for some CP soap!

Two of these I showed a peek of in the January Challenge thread, but I made the ciaglia soap last night ✨

Batch #18 - 6 Oil Blend with Red Stripe Beer
terrazzo.png

The first soap of the new year! I had some leftover beer that was burning a hole in my freezer from my Red Stripe Soap that I decided to use up. Since I was making an embed soap, I figured the acceleration wouldn't hurt.
My lesson from this soap batch was next time I make a terrazzo soap (and I will!) I will use chunks that are a little bit older (aka planning ahead). They got a bit smeary while cutting them and it was a bit of a headache cleaning my knife off that frequently haha. Also to not second guess myself on color! I wanted the base shade to be darker but at the last moment I decided against adding another 1/4 tsp of black mica.
FO is WSP's Lavender Woods & Honey, the only lavender FO I can stand

Skipping Batch #19 for now, since that's my challenge entrant 😌

Batch #20 - ZNSC (w/ 10% CO and 5% CAS) with Local Seawater
wave taiwan.png

Another attempt at the January Challenge to see if I liked it better than my previous soap. I opted to finally try ZNSC since I knew it would be a well behaved recipe for a Taiwan swirl. I used a 16 oz recipe in my 10 inch mold to use it a little like a slab mold. I did cut one of the bars in half to see the pattern within, but I find the top of Taiwans so pretty 😍
My lesson from this batch was I need to do another Taiwan swirl! I had such a good time with this recipe.
FO is Nurture Soap's Seven Isles. I don't hate it but I don't particularly like it either. My best descriptor for it is it's 8th & Ocean's grandfather. Well, at least it performed nicely and I got it on sale 🤣

Batch #21 - 6 Oil Blend with Heavy Cream
rainbow ciaglia.png

Ciaglia time! This soap was one that had quite a few firsts in it! I used a bit of Grapeseed Oil, as I've never tried that before. I kept it in a small amount since I know it has a lower shelf life. I also used some heavy cream, which I've had in my freezer for months now, as a partial replacement for my water. I added those to my oils. And my last first was I split my oils and lye solution into 6 parts to do layers. I was TERRIFIED to do this and read a zillion threads and watched a zillion videos before I was like Yes. I Can Do This.
FO is WSP's Goji Berry Bliss. Very fun smell. I added it directly to my oils since it was all getting divided up anyway.

Before I made this, I took my baggies of scraps and divided them all by color. Then, I weighed them to see which color I had the least amount of (Yellow! must make more yellow soaps) and then adjusted the other containers to have the same weight (putting the rest of the scraps back in the baggies). So every single layer of my rainbow has (mostly) its own color scraps inside 😁

rainbow ciaglia1.png

Super time consuming? Yes. Do I love these? Absolutely!

Last edited:
New year, new thread ✨
I dropped the CP in the title as I think I'd like to share my soapy creations beyond just my mad science adventures. I do primarily work with MP after all. So, I hope you don't mind seeing some MP as well. Not to worry, I'll try to make it a lovely experience. 😉
Kicking off the thread with the MP soaps I made in the last week or so!

View attachment 70274
FO: Butterfly Garden by Nurture Soap

View attachment 70275
FO: Mystical Woods by Wholesale Supplies Plus

View attachment 70276
FO: Dragon Moon by Nurture Soap

View attachment 70278
FO: Black Raspberry Vanilla by Nurture Soap

View attachment 70277
FO: Sea Kelp & Agave by Wholesale Supplies Plus + Plumeria by Nurture Soap
Those are gorgeous. How do you even get the effects like on the top and bottom soap with M&P?

Those are gorgeous. How do you even get the effects like on the top and bottom soap with M&P?

The number one method to get effects like this in MP is to have entirely too much time on your hands. I joke, of course, but it's also somewhat true. I work in thin layers with a waiting time in between. The time depends on what it is (A longer waiting time if I'm moving from grass to sky. A shorter waiting time if I'm doing another layer of grass.)

The bottom soap was 12 layers. 4 layers of pouring teal and gold at the same time (with a splash of pink), then 4 layers of pouring pink and gold at the same time (with a splash of navy and teal), and then 4 layers of navy and gold at the same time (with a splash of pink).

Can't recall how many layers the top soap was but um... it was a lot haha. The sky is at least 4-6 layers, the lakes are at least 4. The main body of grass was made using pink and yellow embeds placed while I poured 2 shades of green.

The number one method to get effects like this in MP is to have entirely too much time on your hands. I joke, of course, but it's also somewhat true. I work in thin layers with a waiting time in between. The time depends on what it is (A longer waiting time if I'm moving from grass to sky. A shorter waiting time if I'm doing another layer of grass.)

The bottom soap was 12 layers. 4 layers of pouring teal and gold at the same time (with a splash of pink), then 4 layers of pouring pink and gold at the same time (with a splash of navy and teal), and then 4 layers of navy and gold at the same time (with a splash of pink).

Can't recall how many layers the top soap was but um... it was a lot haha. The sky is at least 4-6 layers, the lakes are at least 4. The main body of grass was made using pink and yellow embeds placed while I poured 2 shades of green.
Wow. Do you put alcohol between all the layers?

Last edited:
MP Time. Had a fun time with colors this month 😁

suiyuu.png

FO: Black Salt & Cypress by WSP

vanarana.png

FO: Moroccan Mint by WSP
This design didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, so I'll probably rework it next time I make it. But I love these colors.

the cocogoat.png

FO: Caribbean Coconut by WSP

I have time for CP soap now so expect to see some of that soon~

Back