Bastille: Part Deux

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
I am down to my last two bars of the very first soap I made, an olive/coconut bastille. Even though it turned out pretty nicely after several months' cure, I haven't remade it since I joined Team Lard, but I thought why not try again - this time with a few tweaks to the recipe plus color :)

1463438846547.jpg

Thanks! I was using up the last of a few bottles of EO, so this is a blend of Orange 10x, Litsea, Cedarwood, and Rosemary.

The batter thickened up somehow too much to do a proper tiger stripe but I like how it turned out nonetheless.

That soap looks terrific.

This is not meant to be a negative, but my experimentation with EOs suggest that scent may be lackluster after cure, or after 2 or 3 months. Would love to know what your experience is if you can eventually follow up and post the EO results. Just good for general knowledge.

That soap looks terrific.

This is not meant to be a negative, but my experimentation with EOs suggest that scent may be lackluster after cure, or after 2 or 3 months. Would love to know what your experience is if you can eventually follow up and post the EO results. Just good for general knowledge.

I haven't used them a lot - I use mostly FOs. I can tell you that the first time I made this soap (last June) I used Orange 10x from BB alone and it stuck well.

I also have bars with BA lavender from like September that still smell great.

The others (litsea, cedarwood, rosemary) I bought small bottles of and have used them in soaps since February. The litsea seems to be the stickiest of those. I don't smell much of the cedarwood or rosemary a few months later. So I'm anticipating that after a month or so, these bars will be nice and citrusy and at least I used up the last of the bottles of the other two.

Your mileage may vary!

Back