Bastille/Castille and "slime" factor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
I live in a dry climate, relatively speaking. I have never made a 100% OO soap, but I've used 60% OO with good results.

I have a good friend in Texas who has sensitive skin, and I want to make him an almost-castille soap- say, 92% OO and 8% castor oil, as an example.

Would the higher temperature and humidity in his local make the soap seem slimy? I noticed when I used some homemade soap in that area that it sure seemed like it was softer. We live in the S. Texas Gulf area in February and March, but he is there year-round.

It would age about 16 weeks before I'd give it to him.

If the castille would be slimy, would a bit of coconut oil help? I really need something super mild and gentle for his sensitive skin but something that won't have an "Ewwww" factor in the shower in his humid and hot climate.

Thanks for any suggestions! I appreciate it.

:idea: Not sure it will work, but how about adding a little clay (kaolin)

I saw that thread! I don't know if I have the patience for a 5 year cure, but I might. What I DON'T have is a good enough memory to remember to find the soap after 5 years! :mrgreen:

Back