Basil - disappointed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had high hopes for my new basil EO - based on reading about how lovely it smelled in several threads on here. And also because I love the smell of fresh basil. I've now used it a few times - once in a 'herbal blend' with other EOs, and today I used it with an FO called 'Lime Basil Mandarin'.
But alas - it just smells like marijuana. Or lawn clippings that have been sitting for a day or two and have lost that lovely 'fresh cut' smell. Earthy, grassy, heady - yuk.
And I only added 3g EO to 30g FO, so not a large amount either!

My basil EO smells like basil and it’s very strong. I have a big bottle that will last forever 😂. I think I cut it back to like 1-2% of my EO mix the last time I used it, so like .3-.6 g in 30 g of EOs and thought I could cut it back even more.

From what I’ve read on this forum, no one has found an FO that actually smells like marijuana, so maybe you’re on to something.

My basil EO smells like basil and it’s very strong. I have a big bottle that will last forever 😂. I think I cut it back to like 1-2% of my EO mix the last time I used it, so like .3-.6 g in 30 g of EOs and thought I could cut it back even more.

From what I’ve read on this forum, no one has found an FO that actually smells like marijuana, so maybe you’re on to something.
Rebottle it, relabel it and triple the price ya reckon?

But alas - it just smells like marijuana. Or lawn clippings that have been sitting for a day or two and have lost that lovely 'fresh cut' smell. Earthy, grassy, heady - yuk.
And I only added 3g EO to 30g FO, so not a large amount either!
Good to know! I'm bookmarking this thread for that reason! :videovisit:
True! Not just on this forum but a couple of chandlers I know have been searching for a fragrance that smells like cannabis without success. Cannabis scented candles are popular but a quick Google reveals a wide variety of fragrance notes.

Same EO, add a little Hemp Seed oil (a good, cold-pressed one will have a "complimentary" smell) and you can hit the market ... go for it! 😅
The Cannabis smell will not hold in soap no matter what you do and that I know for a fact. I tried many different methods when I was making such soap for a local clinic several years ago and no matter how I extracted it the smell would not carry over and my soaps were the real deal being quite strong. Even as a wash-off item they wanted it strong. FYI we were raising the plants at the time so I had access to all parts. Naughty us.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Cannabis smell will not hold in soap no matter what you do and that I know for a fact. I tried many different methods when I was making such soap for a local clinic several years ago and no matter how I extracted it the smell would not carry over and my soaps were the real deal being quite strong. Even as a wash-off item they wanted it strong. FYI we were raising the plants at the time so I had access to all parts. Naughty us.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
I can only speak from my own experience
Every time I washed with the cold-pressed hemp seed oil blend soap, I could the smell the family relationship 😅
(not so with CO2 extracted hemp oil, which was a surprise, after trying the cold-pressed oil)

Latest posts

Back