Basic soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
I read that a soap has 34 % olive oil 33%coconut oil 33% palm oil
I worked for 40oz oil.i ran through the lye calculator and made 5%superfast.i have attached the result.is that correct.lye came out as 5.77oz and water 12.90oz is it so.the total amount of soap made is 58.67 oz.
Is 5%superfat correct

Attachments

• soap recipe.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
Personally, that's not a really good recipe. It will be extremely drying to the skin for many. I recommend making small batches 16-32 oz at most. I would do 35-40% Palm, 20% Coconut and the rest in Olive Oil. A 5% SF should be fine with that.

Yes, what shunt has said. Make a smaller batch -- 40oz of oil is quite a lot, and if you don't like the soap, it is just wasted. I would start with 16oz as well (much smaller and you can't measure as precisely).
I can tolerate about 25% of coconut at most, but 20% is better. For most people, 33% would be too much (but it does depend on your skin type).

ETA: I have just looked at your recipe. It is better to measure in grams; more precise (unless you have a scale that can show many digits). What calculator are you using? soapmakingfriend and soapcalc are quite reliable (and there is a lot of others I'm not that familiar with).

Thanks for your reply.i meant that a basic soap will consist of 34%olive 33%coconut 33%palm.hence I asked .I made a soap with some other recipe.but 5 percent superfast is that a good recipe

Yes, what shunt has said. Make a smaller batch -- 40oz of oil is quite a lot, and if you don't like the soap, it is just wasted. I would start with 16oz as well (much smaller and you can't measure as precisely).
I can tolerate about 25% of coconut at most, but 20% is better. For most people, 33% would be too much (but it does depend on your skin type).

ETA: I have just looked at your recipe. It is better to measure in grams; more precise (unless you have a scale that can show many digits). What calculator are you using? soapmakingfriend and soapcalc are quite reliable (and there is a lot of others I'm not that familiar with).
I used lye calculator from bramble berry

Thanks for your reply.i meant that a basic soap will consist of 34%olive 33%coconut 33%palm.hence I asked .I made a soap with some other recipe.but 5 percent superfast is that a good recipe

I used lye calculator from bramble berry

No, that's not a good recipe at all. It will be extremely drying per my first response. You can certainly try it. I wouldn't though.

People use the 33/33/33 soap a lot when they are first starting out I think...but it really is a harsh soap with that much coconut oil. If you insist to use that recipe, I would at least bump up the superfat to like 8.

Many thanks for your reply and can you tell me the percentage of coconut oil and palm oil to be added.Also iam from India and here i think no olives ofcourse we can buy online.can we replace with the major part oilve oil with some other oils in our country.
also let me know the percentage of coconut oil and palm oil to be present at the maximum.And if we go palm oil free will it be better.I made two recipes one using olive oil (pomace) and coconut oil with some essential oils and the other using castor oil ,olive oil(pomace),coconut oil.Is the second recipe a better one than the first

What you really need to do is some research here on the forum. Your asking people for recipes without researching the possibilities. Coconut Oil depend on the person and what they can tolerate. Some can use 10-15% and some use up to 25-30%. I don't use more than 40% Palm. You can use any liquid oil you choose. You will need to run all recipes and combinations through a lye calculator. Oils used will depend on what you have access to. I don't use Pomace Olive Oil personally but many do. You're going to have to make and test soap recipes until you find something you like and serves your purposes. You may love a recipe and I may dislike it.

Thanks for your reply and sorry if i have bothered you.Do you say that you use only virgin olive oil

Thanks for your reply and sorry if i have bothered you.Do you say that you use only virgin olive oil

You're not bothering anybody but I don't get the impression you've done any research on your own to help yourself on any topic. There is quite a lot of information and recipes that have been shared for most of your questions thus far. If you have a recipe(s) and have questions people are better able to help give an opinion than to create recipes for you. We love to help. I use regular OO. However, I don't like OO in soap for the most part unless at a very low percentage. I prefer, Avocado, HO Sunflower or Safflower.

Latest posts

Back