Basic Handwash recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this one has the exact ingredients that you want, but it could be a good starting point. She has a section down towards the bottom about substitutions, plus you can check her encyclopedia for more info about that.

Aloe Mint Hand Wash.

Thanks Aliopp
It uses 2 ingredients which I dont have.
The subsitute the one she is recommending, neither I have those.
What can I use instead of Capryl Glucoside and Disodium Laureth Sulfosucinate as per this receipe?
Can I use Decyl Glucoside instead of Capryl Glucoside?

The DG has a much higher pH than the CG, so you would have to adjust pH. You might want to pay for the $1 subscription to the Swifty Crafty Monkey blog. It can be a difficult resource since it is in blog format, but it contains so much information about ingredients, formulating, and adjusting pH.

The nice thing is that you can join the membership any time for $1 per month, and cancel at any time after it is no longer needed.

Here's some info from that blog, which I have cut and pasted from a couple different posts and sections of posts:

Alkyl polyglucosides
There are a few different APGs we use pretty regularly – decyl glucoside, caprylic/capric glucosides, lauryl glucoside, and coco glucoside. ... In general, they lower surface tension effectively, and they’re tolerant of electrolytes. This is a good thing – you can use salts or things containing salts like aloe vera liquid or extract – but also means that you can’t thicken these with salt. In fact, APGs are a pain to thicken and won’t with Crothix or salt ... You could use guar gum, xanthan gum, or carbomer (gelling agent).

They work well in hard water, rinse off well, and can tolerate alkaline (pH above 8) ingredients and conditions. You’ll want to reduce the pH in hair and skin care products to pH 4 to 6 for pretty much every APG you meet.

They’re compatible with anionic (negatively charged) or cationic (positively charged) ingredients.

The foamy, bubbly, lathery glucosides produce small bubbles and lather, ones that can be described as “lacy glove foam”. If you lather up your hands, they’ll look like lace with large openings and lots of small bubbles. (The opposite of this is something like SCI, which has elegant, dense foam and lather that has few openings and creates a thick layer.)

They say they produce dense foam on their own, but I have yet to see anything I consider dense without adding an amphoteric, like cocamidopropyl betaine or cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine.

Decyl glucoside
This is a very mild non-ionic cleanser that works well as both a primary or secondary surfactant as it’s a good foamer. It’s gentle, rinses off well, and offers flash foam with lacy glove bubbles and lather. ... It contains about 48% to 52% active ingredients in the surfactant, and the suggested use is 4% to 40%.

Decyl glucoside works well as both a primary or secondary surfactant as it is a good foamer. It has an alkaline pH – 7 to 11.5 – so you’ll have to bring your pH down with citric acid or another acidic ingredient to ensure it reaches the right pH for skin and hair. It contains about 48% to 52% active ingredients in the surfactant, and the suggested use is 4% to 40%. This is a great ingredient for a conditioning shampoo or body wash as it improves the cationic conditioning in your products, as well as offer foam stabilization.

Part of the appeal of decyl glucoside is how it is manufactured, and its Ecocert status. “Decyl glucoside is produced by the reaction of glucose from corn starch with the fatty alcohol decanol which is derived from coconut.” (Wikipedia) So you can say it is derived from sugar and coconut.

Last edited:
Thank you aliopp for detailed explanation.
I shall see if I would like to go ahead with swiftcraftymonkey :thumbs::)

Back