Base Soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothi

Reaction score
I am guessing you guys have more than one base soap recipes you work off of. How many different oils do those recipes have? Why the need of several vs just one? Do you have different recipes for varying factors and what are they?

So far my soap recipes have had 4 oils. Olive, coconut, palm, and sweet almond (in that order). But I am considering adding avocado oil and castor oil into the mix. Basically to go with Olive, Coconut, Palm and Avocado, and Sweet Almond and Castor. Any thoughts?

Also wondering, do you save the superfatting oil until trace or just put them all together and let fate take its course?

Mothi said:
I am guessing you guys have more than one base soap recipes you work off of. How many different oils do those recipes have? Why the need of several vs just one? Do you have different recipes for varying factors and what are they?

So far my soap recipes have had 4 oils. Olive, coconut, palm, and sweet almond (in that order). But I am considering adding avocado oil and castor oil into the mix. Basically to go with Olive, Coconut, Palm and Avocado, and Sweet Almond and Castor. Any thoughts?

Also wondering, do you save the superfatting oil until trace or just put them all together and let fate take its course?

How many oils..less than 4

I have a main recipe I use for retail and wholesale. But limited time only soaps etc are different recicipes. Factors.. creamy, hardness.. and lather

Mothi said:

So far my soap recipes have had 4 oils. Olive, coconut, palm, and sweet almond (in that order). But I am considering adding avocado oil and Castor oil into the mix. Basically to go with Olive, Coconut, Palm and Avocado, and Sweet Almond and Castor. Any thoughts?

My basic recipe uses 5 oils, 1 butter now. I used to use at one time 13 oils, fats, and butters! Even though I am a masterbatcher, I just tried to come up with a simpler but still great recipe using a lot less oils! I am currently working on a simple 4 oil recipe emphasising mainly CO (50%) Olive, rice bran oil, and Castor. I just keep my SF higher.

Your new recipe with the added oils sounds like it has the makings of a very good base! 8) You've covered all your needed bases. I do not add my Castor at light trace since I masterbatch. I use goat milk and aloe vera juice and silk so I just take a 6% lye discount on my recipe and it feels really good even on the face! You go experiment as that is the only way!

Paul.... :wink:

Back