Base oils separating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnandgroom

Reaction score
Hello, all! I've been making cp soap with my current oil blend for about a year now. We are trying to condense our operation and move everything into a toy hauler RV in a few years. My base oil blend is olive, grapeseed, coconut, and soybean. I would like to pour them all into a 5 gallon Gatorade water jug instead of having a bunch of different bottles on the shelf (I buy my oils at Costco so they come in pretty big jugs) but I was wondering if the three oils (obviously I'd add my 25% coconut oil to the pot each time I make a batch) would separate in a large vessel like that? I don't want to blow $20 on a water jug that I'd have no other use for. I know they make blended oils for cooking, so I was hoping I would just be doing that on a bigger scale, but I don't want to open the spigot and just get pure soybean oil or whatever because one of them sank to the bottom. Thoughts?
Follow up--at our current production rate I use about 1.5 gallons of the three liquid oils a week, so they would never sit blended in the cooler for longer than a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be of much use to you. I can't tell you with your particular blend, but I pre-mix my base oils in gallon jugs. I take one afternoon to mix up 8-10 gallons of it for later use. My oils are olive, coconut, sweet almond, and palm. I have not noticed any separating. Is it something that perhaps you could open the top of the container and give them all a good stir to be safe before you open the spigot? Not sure of the setup of the container you're talking about.

I too masterbatch my oils in a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot and have no issues. But as stated, you need to give them a really good mix before using. Also, if you use a large amount of solid oils it may be more difficult.

Seems to me that the appearance of your soft oils are just different enough that you'd be able to see the layers in a glass container if they separated. Could you do a test batch in a smaller glass container, let it sit for several days, then check to see if there's visible separation?

Back