Bartender's Hand Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I souls worry about is the almond oil. Touching glasses and food with ur bare hands and then giving it to someone with a nut allergy could be a big problem. Other than that I think it's a great idea.

I am a chef by trade an always have set cracking hands so I talk from experience that something like this would be awesome to have on hand. Just maybe use another oil instead of almond

If the oils are refined they have been stripped of the proteins that cause allergic reaction. I know that statement may cause an uproar but that's what I was told by a supplier, and I confirmed it with several people that deal with severe allergies and from a doctor.

Good to know. I didn't know that fact. Thanks. We'll then I want to try this too

Finally got some made and tried.

I did go ahead and add some Lavender EO, it is nice, not overpowering. Only problem was it cooled the beeswax down quickly. Maybe I had not reached full emulsion at that point though. However, it all seemed to be fine by time to pour, after lots more mixing.

It works very well. I've put it through all the hands in water, hands in harsh cleaning supplies tests, and if hands are too sticky to use keyboard. Didn't have a clear glass to try, but a plastic one. It has passed all the tests. My hands are usually horribly dry, especially after a weekend of constant cleaning, cooking, washing, chemical cleaners. Not now. Even the cuticles look normal again.

As long as it is applied warm, not left in a cold purse or on the back counter of the bar, everyone should love it. They can stash it somewhere warm at the bar if they don't want it in their pocket, but really a tin is not very large. The only reason I mention that is I tried it both warm and cooler room temp. It is a bear to get going when it is at room temp, but eventually softens. When warm there are no issues, just take out the puck, rub it between hands (I rubbed on top of hands too), and rub in like regular lotion. It feels nice on the hands, unlike lotion that I usually want to wipe off if I got too much on. It absorbs in a few seconds. It does protect if applied before sticking hands in water and it does soften and soothe if you have really dry skin.

Thanks DeeAnna!! :thumbup:

"As long as it is applied warm, not left in a cold purse or on the back counter of the bar, everyone should love it.... It is a bear to get going when it is at room temp, but eventually softens...."

Totally agree on all counts, but it is great to see someone else's thoughts and reactions.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this feedback. I really appreciate it -- you made my day!!!

If the oils are refined they have been stripped of the proteins that cause allergic reaction. I know that statement may cause an uproar but that's what I was told by a supplier, and I confirmed it with several people that deal with severe allergies and from a doctor.

Just to add in, I am allergic to nuts and have had severe reactions to the refined oils, especially peanut.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not so I will remove if the moderators request it.

A friend of mine has a large box of new, unused tins that would be perfect for this hand balm. They are 3" diameter by 1" in height, holding approx. 7oz or around 200ml. Sadly they have printing on them so are not much good for anyone wanting to sell balm products but for self use they're perfect. She's asking $0.50/tin (plus shipping), plain tins this size retail for around $1.70 on Ebay.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
Well now that winter is pretty much over and my hands haven't been nearly as chapped and cracked as they were I got all inspired and finally tried a batch. I went with 35% Beeswax, 35% Cocoa butter, 15% Shea butter, 8% sunflower and 7% sweet almond. The feel turned out pretty nice, could maybe be a little waxyer. Will try more beeswax in the future or remelt these and add more. I cast them in a paper towel roll at 125F when the mix just started to film over. Let them cool at room temp. There was cracking throughout center of the cast. Anybody know how to eliminate this??

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

Boyago, I'm not sure what to tell you about the cracking. I've not had this problem in my lotion bars, although I do sometimes see this kind of cracking in the beeswax I render from the comb from my beehives. I never spent much thought on why it happens with the beeswax, so hopefully someone will chime in with some good advice for you ... and we'll both learn something! Sorry I can't be of more help....

Back