Bars stop lathering/bubbling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeG

Reaction score
I am working my way through my first cold process batch. 80% palm oil, 20% coconut oil, 5% SF. The bars about 6 months old and are great. Good lather, just the right amount of cleansing without harshness. Look nice. When I get to around 30-50% of the bar left, it stops lathering/bubbling and stays pretty hard. What is going on? Thanks,

George

Any chance that the bars are being used less and having more time to dry out between uses? (I have several end pieces in my shower that I switch back and forth, so it can be over a week between uses, they dry out more and are temporarily less soluble than a bar that is used every day.

Did you have partial gel with that batch, so the interior is a little harder than the rest? Although, I'm not sure if that would have much affect.

I don't think the batch had any gelling. I think the smaller pieces get pretty routine use.

George

A smaller bar lathers less because there's less surface area and the bar has a more rounded shape. If the bar is smaller and rounded, it's harder to scrub soap off the bar and harder to aerate the soap and water mixture. You need sufficient soap on your washcloth or skin AND good mixing and aeration to get decent lather.

Latest posts

Back