Bar with some KOH

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnl

Reaction score
I make 100% CO stain sticks with 0% superfat. But I dont like how hard it is. If I add some KOH, i figure that will soften the bar a bit, which will make it easier to cut, and easier to use. But I still want a totally solid bar, not dentable at all.

How much KOH should I use? I have made liquid soap, and regular soap, but I have never combined KOH and NaOH in a recipe before.

Should I start by doing a 90/10 NaOH/KOH split, or should it be more like 60/40? 80/20? Where is a good place to start a test batch at?

Should I start by doing a 90/10 NaOH/KOH split, or should it be more like 60/40? 80/20? Where is a good place to start a test batch at?

If it were me, I would start with a 90/10 NaOH/KOH split. A 60/40 split would be way too much. I make a shave soap with a 60/40 split and although firm enough to keep its shape, it is as pliable/smooshable as clay when pressed.

As for your 100% CO liquid soap, here are 2 simple things I have tried in the past that have worked for me with liquid soap dilutions that came out too thin: 1) Heat the diluted soap over low heat with the cover off to evaporate some of the water off; or 2) Add more paste to the dilution (if I still had some on hand).

I've never tried adding NaOH to liquid soap, but hopefully those that have will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

a bar soap with a little bit of KOH has to be hot processed, right?
does it need to be cooked longer than a full NaOH batter?
will it behave the same - turn to gel, then zap test and no zap?

thanks!

(This reply is not about liquid soap, just to explain why HP not necessary for KOH added to bar soap.)

I make CP liquid soap, so I don't see why you would have to HP NaOH/KOH bar soap.

ok
i read somewhere that KOH needed to be cooked.
it was on a shaving soap thread somewhere where they were adding in a little KOH to their hard bar to increase lather.

they had specifically said it had to be cooked because of the KOH
but lots of people say things that are wrong.
i dont remember where i saw it cause i had read through TONS of stuff all over the web that day
but i didnt think it was right because i had read the CPLS stuff before.

Back