Bar size for testing with family and friends...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lelê

Reaction score
Here is my question (probably a silly one). Most 'for sale' bars are around 4.5 oz. give or take. I plan in making a few batches to get the hang of it (true and tried recipes), to also test the feel of the oils, EO, etc.. After they are all cured, I plan in giving them away to family members and friends to try and give an *honest* detailed feedback.

Because I'm making 1 lb. batches, big bars will only 'serve' a few people, so I thought I would send the f & f a smaller bar of each kind. Maybe somewhere between 2 -3 oz....

Is that a good idea/bad idea? Do you think it'll affect the "feel" of the soap when they try? And, more importantly(!), can I cut the bars and let them cure on this smaller size?

Sorry for the questions....

TIA! :)

PS: Had major forum withdraw last night... *giggle*

If they are smaller, they will cure even faster. :) Less water to pull out of a smaller bar...

For sample pieces, I slices a full bar into four pieces and bevele the little edges. Helps the smaller soap "slip" and lather in hands. Most of my sample piece are .75 to 1 ounce and I've been able to get great feedback.

Hope that helps some. :D

I think its a great idea. Especially when you want opinions on several kinds of soap.

Last year my husband made a mold that makes about 20 hotel size soaps. When I remember to use it -haha- I increase my recipe and pour 1lb into the sample mold. Makes the cutest little soaps.

Deda said:
I think its a great idea. Especially when you want opinions on several kinds of soap.

Last year my husband made a mold that makes about 20 hotel size soaps. When I remember to use it -haha- I increase my recipe and pour 1lb into the sample mold. Makes the cutest little soaps.
That is an awesome idea!!

I will tell him you said so!

The interior dims are 14x2x2, when I use 16oz oil it fills to 1.5" - so I get about 20 2x1.5x.75 soaps. It's just pine and has a little wood cover with a handle.

Ok, its not fancy, just a small wood mold.

I'm desperate to learn how to take decent photos ::: bows to Lane :::: your pictures are amazing.

samplemold.jpg

It's nearly as wide as the lightbox and I had no cloth to hide the sides. (Didnt feel like ironing) I will use white satin when I photo the soap stuff.

I did adjust the brightness and toned down the red and used a blue filter. It took all the pink away! I used a tripod, but I think I was too close, a little (okay - a lot) blurry.

Deda said:

That's a great idea - i've just been cutting my reg size bars in half for my use and friends/family.

Deda said:
Ok, its not fancy, just a small wood mold.

I'm desperate to learn how to take decent photos ::: bows to Lane :::: your pictures are amazing.

samplemold.jpg

It's nearly as wide as the lightbox and I had no cloth to hide the sides. (Didnt feel like ironing) I will use white satin when I photo the soap stuff.

I did adjust the brightness and toned down the red and used a blue filter. It took all the pink away! I used a tripod, but I think I was too close, a little (okay - a lot) blurry.

Haha! Thank you... My picture really aren't that great... I just know how to do the digital stuff. There are a WHOLE alot of other secrets, but you got some of the main ones :wink: Great photo btw. :DThat mold looks super!

I dunno if this makes sense, but what I do, is I cut my log into 1 inch thick regular size bars. Then each indivual bar, I cut in half. Doubles my total amount yielding half-size bars all about 1 inch thick.

You guys are AWESOME. Seriously. :)

I think beveling is a great idea too! And that mold is great!!

I think I'm make 3 different batches, then send all 3 together. It'll be great for comparison. :)

I'm just waiting for some shea butter now... *little dance*

I send out 2 ounce sample soaps with every Etsy order at my TOG shop. I use my multi adjustable log cutter to cut the log into 1/2" thick bars.

econoadjustablecuttere005.jpg

Paul :wink:

I used to have a basket on my market tables (when I sold the soap) filled with little hotel size bars as samples people could buy. This way they could try out a few different types without having to spend so much. They were great to throw in with bigger orders as well.

I cut my regular bars in half both ways. The end result was a bar 2" x 1.5" x .5" and they sold like crazy but were a little more labour intensive.

Latest posts

Back