Baking soda for lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter

Reaction score
I did not want to threadjack the Dual Lye Castile discussion so I'm starting this thread about baking soda for lather.

The post by miheypete (#77, Dual Lye Castile) mentioned Anne Watson's recipes for Castile soap, which prompted me to buy and read the book. I am intrigued by Watson's addition of baking soda in her Cleansing Castile recipe that according to her, "helps produce good bubbly lather."*

I tried looking through old discussions here about using this as an additive but most threads mention it as a (weaker) sub for washing soda in laundry soap, or as a way to neutralize an acid or something along those lines. I had not come across the baking-soda-as-lather-maker idea before.

Anyone here use baking soda like this?

Thanks!

*Anne L. Watson. Castile Soapmaking: The Smart Guide to Making Castile Soap, or How to Make Bar Soaps From Olive Oil With Less Trouble and Better Results (Anne's Soap Making Books) (Kindle Location 386). Shepard Publications. Kindle Edition.

Back